Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for current AMD based MB with IDE socket

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 videobruce

videobruce

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

I haven't upgraded since 2007, I usually don't wait that long, but my current MB has the features I like, but is now dated by processor limitations.

What I'm looking for is:

1. AMD based MB that has one IDE connector so I can easily access older IDE drives. The 970 chipset MB's don't have any IDE ports (that I found). The 990 chipset does, but I didn't really want all the other bells & whistles, namely the ability to run multiple graphic cards. The cost difference is almost 2x which is hard to justify. (I really don't do any gaming.)

2. I'm also interested in power consumption since my current nForce 7 board and non green PS is a power hog (by todays standards).

3. The other question is the processor. Is a six core worth the difference in price over a four core when used for any HDTV application?

4. Serial port or at least a header (which many have).

5. Two PS2 ports (which many have).

6. Optical and/or digital audio. (not a priority)

7. Price? I would prefer to stay under $100, but that isn't cast in stone.

8. Boot menu outside the Bios screen.

9. eSATA port.

I know there are IDE cards, but I would on board due to concerns for drivers and possible boot issues to use that drive as a boot drive if I need to.
I'm running XP and would like to stay that way, but I understand there are hardware issues (as usual) so I may be forced to go with Win 7 (forget 8).

Lastly, brand is flexible. I was leaning towards Asus, ASRock & Gigibyte and kinda wanted to stay away from MSI, Biostar & ECS. Opinions welcome here also.

Edited by videobruce, 23 July 2013 - 09:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Not trying to be a smartass, but I cannot even fathom using an old PATA HD for a boot drive at this point in time.

On the board you found the PATA port on, the 990XXX chipset, verify that PATA port is actually based on the AMD southbridge.  To the best of my knowledge, AMD stopped any PATA support 2 generations ago, and any PATA ports you find on new AMD boards is just like an add in card, but located on the board.

The one board I found, a Biostar A990FXM-A board with a PATA port, has that port driven by a Marvell chipset which is the same thing you will find on many PATA add in cards.  

Edited by dpunisher, 23 July 2013 - 10:37 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

The reason for the IDE is not to use as a primary boot drive, just to have to access a IDE drive for any reason without using a separate card or some adapter that doesn't work.

To the best of my knowledge, AMD stopped any PATA support 2 generations ago, and any PATA ports you find on new AMD boards is just like an add in card, but located on the board.

You are saying it would have the same issues as a add on card?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Well...I have a couple of suggestions:

FWIW:  You could use a controller card to boot from an attached drive, as long as the BiOS supports it...I used to do it years ago.

I would think type of RAM would be more of a concern than most of the items you mention...but that's my perspective.  Ditto for the processor.

I suggest that you take a look at the Asrock boards at Amazon and ECS boards at Tiger Direct..

Louis

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

The reason for the IDE is not to use as a primary boot drive, just to have to access a IDE drive for any reason without using a separate card or some adapter that doesn't work.

To the best of my knowledge, AMD stopped any PATA support 2 generations ago, and any PATA ports you find on new AMD boards is just like an add in card, but located on the board.

You are saying it would have the same issues as a add on card?

Just reading what you wrote: "I know there are IDE cards, but I would on board due to concerns for drivers and possible boot issues to use that drive as a boot drive if I need to."

There is no difference from having a PATA add in card vs having a PATA socket on the motherboard.  Both have nothing to do with the AMD chipset.  Both are "aftermarket" controllers.  The on board Marvell uses PCI-E lanes just like a card.  You will never be able to boot from either without installing drivers first unlike native PATA/IDE.

Likewise for serial ports.  Haven't seen one in years.  There are serial/USB adapters, and serial cards as well.

I would certainly not limit myself to a board with an onboard PATA slot.  That kills a lot of choices.  If you need access to a PATA drive, burn $20 for a USB 2.0/SATA/PATA  adapter.  If you absolutely are going to install a PATA drive on a semi permanent basis, get a PATA controller card.

Once you give up the PATA and serial requirements, there are a lot of boards out there that fit your requirements, too many to list here.  If you find something that works for you, we would be happy to look over your choice.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:03 AM

There is no difference from having a PATA add in card vs having a PATA socket on the motherboard. Both have nothing to do with the AMD chipset. Both are "aftermarket" controllers. The on board Marvell uses PCI-E lanes just like a card. You will never be able to boot from either without installing drivers first unlike native PATA/IDE.

My current nForce 570 board has a IDE slot that I can boot from. Then I assume that has native PATA/IDE as you mentioned and these newer boards do not? The boot option is probably not that important and I probably will never use it, I just wanted it as a option. But, accessing a IDE drive is a necessarily, so are dual PS2 ports (the M & K cables are very long, USB probably wouldn't work)

I have found a number of boards that do have serial. I do need that, I have two pieces of equipment that uses serial. I also do have a separate PCI serial port card that I could use, so serial isn't a do or die.

Edited by videobruce, 24 July 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Could you post those boards that built in serial ports?  Just curious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users