Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox not warning when closing multiple tabs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kateh

kateh

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:34 PM

More than once I have accidentally clicked the close button on the top right of my browser window. In the past this was not a problem because I had 'warn when closing multiple tabs' checked (I always have multiple tabs open). Firefox would shoot me a nice little warning and I could click cancel and not lose all my tabs. For some reason FF has stopped giving me a warning message, even though I still have 'warn me when closing multiple tabs' checked. I'm not sure when this started happening, but it has been going on for a while. I am running FF 22.

I have tried (unsucessfully):

*unchecking the checkbox and restarting FF, then checking the box it again and restarting

*starting in safe mode

*clearing cache and restarting

*restarting my computer

Does anyone have some ideas of what else I can try or know how I can get my nice little warning box back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

Open about:config

Check that "browser.tabs.warnOnClose" and "browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs" are both set to "True".

Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 kateh

kateh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

Open about:config

Check that "browser.tabs.warnOnClose" and "browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs" are both set to "True".

Yes they are both set to true. This whole thing is really baffling to me!

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

My other thoughts would be a misbehaving add-on or a corrupted profile.  You can start FF in 'safe' mode (help - Restart with add-ons disabled) and see if the tab warning works then.  If so, then disable add-ons one at a time to find the culprit. 

Or you may need to create a new profile and see if that solves the problem. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 kateh

kateh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

My other thoughts would be a misbehaving add-on or a corrupted profile.  You can start FF in 'safe' mode (help - Restart with add-ons disabled) and see if the tab warning works then.  If so, then disable add-ons one at a time to find the culprit. 

Or you may need to create a new profile and see if that solves the problem. 

I had already tried safe mode and it made no difference.

Good idea about the new profile. The warning message worked just fine with a new profile. How can I find out which file(s) are corrupt so I don't accidentally transfer them when moving files to a new profile?

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

Afraid I won't be too helpful.  When I've had to do it in the past it's always been a trial and error process. 

Compare the old profile with the new profile.....  Start by renaming all items that exist in the old profile but do not in the new profile as xxx.xxx.bak.  Fire up the old profile and see if the problem remains. 

If so, start trying some of the other files/folders......  rename in the old profile to xxx.bak  and copy the equivalent from the new profile and retest the old profile.  Hopefully you will soon discover the culprit. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users