Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected? Having some odd problems on new laptop.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 slwortham

slwortham

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

I got a new laptop a few months ago. Everything was perfect for awhile, but then odd problems began.

PC Info:

Samsung NP365E5C-S01UB

AMD Vision A6-4400M (64 bit)

500 GB HD

8 GB Ram

Windows 8 64 bit OS

Security: Norton Internet Security

Problems:

NIS doesn't run half of the time or won't scan when it is running.

Internet Download Manager won't download files and won't let me use 'Alt' to force download with IDM.

Installation hangs up when installing brand new printer.

Problem moving files from PC to jump drives. - files begin to move, but then say something about the file no longer being located in the location on the PC.

Note: There are intermittent times when these issues seem to have gone away and things work fine. But they are there more often than not.

What I've already done:

I have run Norton when it was working and nothing was found. I have run MBAM and nothing was found. I have uninstalled Internet Download Manager and reinstalled and updated to the newest version - it worked for a few days and then the issues came back.

Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Panda18

Panda18

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:04 AM

Odd question - sort of - what's your ip address?

#3 slwortham

slwortham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

Don't know...apparently that's another one for the list....I can't access my Network and Sharing Center.

#4 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

Check to be sure your NIS version is compatible with Windows 8 and updated.

Be sure Norton's firewall is running before continuing...

NIS should have disabled Windows Firewall and Defender on the install - Check in Control Panel to be sure it did.  An update to any/all could cause conflicts to crop up that weren't there before.

#5 slwortham

slwortham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:13 AM

Windows Firewall and Defender were both disabled and I'm pretty sure my NIS has been updating regularly, but since I haven't been able to open NIS I just uninstalled it and reinstalled and now I don't seem to have any problems. Thanks for the advice. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users