Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Annoying Typing Glitch

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ScreamingBanshee

ScreamingBanshee

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

I wonder if anyone could offer some clues here...

When I am typing on Facebook or in internet forums, my cursor often jumps to some random place.  Quite often I can be typing away and it will have jumped to somewhere else in the text or even out of the text so that when I hit backspace, it triggers the 'back' function of my browser.  I can't count the amount of times I've lost whole posts to this phenomena.

It only happens with my laptop and I've never experienced this on my desk top system or any other system I've owned.... (there it goes again, while I was typing this!)

I use Google Chrome, since I had to stop using Firefox due to innumerable issues, rendering it pretty much unusable.  I can't remember if it did this in Firefox or not.

Just wondered if anyone else has encountered this and if they know how to fix it?  I don't know if it's a Windows 7 bug or a browser fault.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

Hi -

It is most likely either hardware in your computer or, do you ever come close enough to place a finger tip on the pad.

Do you normally use a mouse or just the Touch Pad on the laptop ??

There has so far (that I have found) not a Windows 7 problem related to this, usually one of the above.

As a 3rd option, have you ever cleaned the inside of the keyboard area, since dust (or similar), can cause this also ?

If you operate in a dusty area (heavy carpet or not well ventilated) this will (can) cause a build up inside.

Is there any issue with Internet Explorer similar to this, or have you not tried it yet ??

Also is the problem the same when you use Notepad or any OFF line program ??

Thank You -

#3 ScreamingBanshee

ScreamingBanshee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

Okay, then I guess I need to do a test, making sure no part of my hand touches the pad.  Good point that.  So simple but one that never crossed my mind.  Hold that thought...

#4 ScreamingBanshee

ScreamingBanshee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

Think you might be right, noknojon.  Thank you for that. :) x

Edited by ScreamingBanshee, 22 July 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#5 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

The same thing started happening to me after I upgraded my OS from XP to Win 7 on my Dell laptop.  Turned out it was some sort of conflict with the touchpad driver.  I installed the latest version and the problem went away.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

Think you might be right, noknojon.  Thank you for that. :) x

You are welcome -

Please keep an eye on this for a few days to be sure that this was the only problem -

Regards -

#7 Paablo75

Paablo75

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:45 PM

Just thought I would add, I had this same problem with Windows 10, and updating the driver also fixed it.  Thank you for the info guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users