Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New HDD, installing Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 QOOOOOOOOQ

QOOOOOOOOQ

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

Recently got a new hdd for my laptop (this), downloaded the windows 7 64x home premium .iso extracted onto a disk in which to install windows 7 onto the new hdd, this is to replace my old hdd (which had broke) - with the same version of windows and everything that it was running (hdd exactly the same, but new one is 250gb instead of 320), booted the computer from the disk, and computer immedietly goes into startup repair (as if it would have from the broken hdd that was replaced, but the old one was saying it was completely unreadable, with new one it just thinks theres something wrong with it(because its empty and brand new i assume)), and i get no option to install windows, only repair windows - thus i am cycling through loops trying to get it to glitch out and give me that install windows screen but it does not and the only "real" option i have is to try to repair windows, therefore im repairing it to see if it sees no windows files are on the hdd and wonder if maybe it will "repair" the hdd by putting the files on the hdd for me...? o..o trying now but please reply and sorry for the novel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:28 AM

Startup Repair only boots from a disk with windows installed - I suppose the startup of a disk could be altered to boot the repair function but it would be difficult

What does it boot without the dvd in the drive?

So where did you get the hard drive? Or where did you get the iso?

Anyway I don't think it is booting from the windows 7 iso - go into the bios make sure it is booting from the dvd - remove the hard drive to make sure it is booting from the dvd.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 23 July 2013 - 03:38 AM.

#3 QOOOOOOOOQ

QOOOOOOOOQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

1: Without the dvd in the drive, that is, starting from hdd, it says "reboot and select proper boot device, or insert selected boot media and press a key

2: HDD: (cant find item link, but is from newegg) iso: tried two different iso downloads, from the windows website itself on usb, and from another site(trustworthy) that i put onto a cd, both when booting make the pc automatically go into repair mode

3: starting pc from hdd with none in it says the same thing as step one,starting pc with only windows 7 DISK and no hdd (with bios, not temp change) starts up system recovery(startup repair), starting with windows 7 USB(removable drive) from bios boot change settings returns same message as one

Notes: Used a program to turn disk into a bootable dvd, simply extracted files to usb with winrar...

If needed will use your links to install w7 onto a disk and do it your way, for best help results

Edited by QOOOOOOOOQ, 23 July 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#4 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58996.iso if you want to install 32bit

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso if you want to install 64bit

use http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool to create usb install drive

or use favorite iso burning program to burn iso to disc (my fav is imgburn) (http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61)

#5 QOOOOOOOOQ

QOOOOOOOOQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:51 AM

:\ first thing it did when starting up is wanting to install now, what i needed was imgburn, the ones i was using wasnt doing it right (blame the software not the person :P) thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users