Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft.NET 3.5 update always fails.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mercuryrsng

mercuryrsng

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

I had this started in the malware infection forum because I had a malware infection.  That thread is here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496511/moneypak-infection-cannot-start-in-safe-mode/

I am currently having an issue installing the following update: 

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86

It always fails upon install.  i've tried to install it manually too.

Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21

...when a net framework update fails, download & reinstall the whole net framework version it's associated with, restart your machine, go to microsoft update & let it look for updates to see if it finds any - FIRST though, write down the "KB" number of the update that is failing so you can note if, and/or when it works or fails again...

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

This is not unknown by M/soft and several options are given - -

First - This will reset the Update area so that it may take the update.

Reset repository
=============
1. Click Start button, type “cmd” (without the quote) in the search box. 
2. On the program results list, right click the “cmd.exe” and choose “run as administrator”. 
3. In the command window, type the following commands and press Enter, one by one.

1.       NET STOP WINMGMT

2.       CD /D %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\WBEM

3.       REN REPOSITORY REPOSITORY.OLD

4.       NET START WINMGMT

4. Restart the computer and run the update again.

........................................................................................................................................

Next - Click Start button, type “cmd” (without the quote) in the search box

1 . Right click on the CMD that appears and select Run as Administrator

2 . In the Command Prompt box type " sfc /scannow " without the quote marks and press Enter

NOTE the space between c and / as it must be there.

This will take on average 15 minutes to run -

..........................................................................................................................................................

Next - Repeat up to the end of Step 1 . Above

This time type " chkdsk /r " without the quote marks and press Enter

Note the space between k and / as it must be there.

This will take (on average) 1 to 2 hours to run -

Do not shut down the computer once started and if it is a laptop, make sure it is connected to power not just battery

Thank You -

#4 mercuryrsng

mercuryrsng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

Are these instructions accurate for Windows XP?  That's what this computer has installed.

Edited by mercuryrsng, 22 July 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

Are these instructions accurate for Windows XP?  That's what this computer has installed.

Sorry but you posted this in the Windows 7 area, so without being told, Windows 7 directions are given -

Do you have a XP CD to match the same version as the one installed on the computer ?

This is required to correctly do the sfc / scannow process -

These directions should be done by just going Start > Accessories > Command Prompt and entering them as listed -

Now ignore Steps 1 and 2 for XP systems -

Reset repository
=============
1. Click Start button, type “cmd” (without the quote) in the search box. 
2. On the program results list, right click the “cmd.exe” and choose “run as administrator”. 
3. In the command window, type the following commands and press Enter, one by one.

1.       NET STOP WINMGMT

2.       CD /D %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\WBEM

3.       REN REPOSITORY REPOSITORY.OLD

4.       NET START WINMGMT

4. Restart the computer and run the update again.

For the Checkdisk section -

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:
 •Click Start and open My Computer

Right-click on C: or the Main Hard drive, and select Properties

•Click on the Tools tab

•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button

•Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

•Click on the Start button

•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and Restart your computer

•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Do not force a stop during the process as it will take (on average) from 1 to 2 hours -

When finished the computer will reboot back to a normal screen.

Thank You -

#6 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

I am currently having an issue installing the following update: 

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86

It always fails upon install.  i've tried to install it manually too.

That's not really a security update even though MS update puts it under high-priority in WU. That's the installer for 3.5. You can hide it and not worry about it. To do this visit Windows Update, choose custom scan and uncheck the box for it and then check don't show this update again.

It shows up automatically if you have .NET Framework 2.0. Do you have NET Framework 2.0 installed? If you do, that's good enough as most programs that require .NET Framework only require 2.0.

Remember, .NET Frameworks pose a security risk as can be seen here: net framework security updates
The more you have, the more vulnerable you become.

Edited by .X., 23 July 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#7 mercuryrsng

mercuryrsng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

Sorry I posted in the wrong forum.  I don't have the Windows XP disc as this is a friends computer.  I will do those recommended processes and then hide the update.

Thanks

#8 mercuryrsng

mercuryrsng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

I am trying to click the box that says "Don't show this update again" but it is grayed out and unclickable.  Any ideas why?

#9 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

Yes. It's because you have other updates that need to be installed and 3.5 must be installed separately.

Click the radio button under Select and install other updates and you will then be able to uncheck and hide it.

#10 mercuryrsng

mercuryrsng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

ahhhhh! ok got it.  Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users