Are these instructions accurate for Windows XP? That's what this computer has installed.
Sorry but you posted this in the Windows 7 area, so without being told, Windows 7 directions are given -
Do you have a XP CD to match the same version as the one installed on the computer ?
This is required to correctly do the sfc / scannow process -
These directions should be done by just going Start > Accessories > Command Prompt and entering them as listed -
Now ignore Steps 1 and 2 for XP systems -
1. Click Start button, type “cmd” (without the quote) in the search box.
2. On the program results list, right click the “cmd.exe” and choose “run as administrator”.
3. In the command window, type the following commands and press Enter, one by one.
1. NET STOP WINMGMT
2. CD /D %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\WBEM
3. REN REPOSITORY REPOSITORY.OLD
4. NET START WINMGMT
4. Restart the computer and run the update again.
For the Checkdisk section -
Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:
•Click Start and open My Computer
•Right-click on C: or the Main Hard drive, and select Properties
•Click on the Tools tab
•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
•Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
•Click on the Start button
•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and Restart your computer
•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
Do not force a stop during the process as it will take (on average) from 1 to 2 hours -
When finished the computer will reboot back to a normal screen.
Thank You -