Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Hangs on Startup

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Crapgame

Crapgame

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

Greetings all......

HP m9340f, Intel Core2 quad, 8GB

Vista SP2 +++ all software up to date

Biggest issue, kids....... if it doesn't work, turn it off............................

When starting it progresses slowly, once at the user selection screen you can select user, enter password and then you get the rotating circle and nothing else, same for all users.

Norton, MalwareBytes, and AdAware are up to date and have been run within the last week, a few things found but nothing bad.......

Need help as quickly as possible, it will be quite appreciated, otherwise I will need to lock this one up tight so I don't end up with the same issue on this computer, if it doesn't work, turn it off....................

Thanks in advance

CrapGame

Crapgame
7 or 11

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

Have you tried running the Startup repair option first then checking the health of the hard drive?

Tekken

#3 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I was able to get into safe mode w\ networking, very slow once in.  I deleted a few programs that had been added that I thought may have been a problem.  On re-start same issue, after logging on to a user the system hung up on welcome screen.  Next I rebooted, F9 into diagnostics.  When it came to the Hard Drive test, it came back with:  Error Code - BIOHD-8, "A smart test failed on the drive".

So, next was to attempt safe mode command prompt, was going to try CHKDSK /r.  It never got there, it started up as normal, no command prompt.  I am heading up stairs now to see if I can do Safe Mode again and try chkdsk while in safe mode, I know it will not attempt it until the reboot, will post back when finished.

Crapgame
7 or 11

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

Error Code - BIOHD-8, "A smart test failed on the drive".

The drive is failing as already indicated. Please backup your data by using an external storage with either using a Live disc or by a USB SATA/IDE enclosure.

Recover files using Puppy Linux

Hard Drive Enclosures/Adapters

Tekken

#5 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:06 AM

Thanks again....

Thought so, I had a HD Failure with another computer a few years ago, I was able to use CHKDSK /r and was able to get it to boot after running it.

As soon as it started I shut it right down, I did a little research and found a disk-cloning program that I was able to make an exact copy of the old disk, lost no data or any programs. Are you aware of that software?

Crapgame
7 or 11

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

Popular imaging software http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Popular paid software http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

List of imaging software http://disk-imaging-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Tekken

#7 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:48 AM

Thanks again.....

Chksdk is running now, hope it completes the repair.

I think it was Acronis that I used last time, will need to do a major cd \ dvd search to see if I can find it.....

Going to head up stairs to see the progress, will let you know.....

Crapgame
7 or 11

#8 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Ok, it hung........

What I am doing now is attempting to copy \ backup files off that hard drive onto a backup USB drive.  I have removed the drive (that one is Vista) and installed it as a slave into another HP computer (exact same model) that is running Windows 7.  Just trying to figure the best way to get the data files....... 

Crapgame
7 or 11

#9 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

BIG QUESTION>>>>>>>>>>

Can I use chkdsk /r on the windows 7 computer to repair the vista drive?????????????????????????????????

Crapgame
7 or 11

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

Well...you can try to repair.  Chkdsk /r cannot necessarily overcome every situation it encounters.

Sooo...yes, you can try to repair using chkdsk /r with the Vista drive attached as a non-boot/secondary drive.

Louis

#11 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

Even using a windows 7 computer? I read something on the net that chkdsk \r in 7 would wipe out the security descriptors on the Vista disk and replace them with default 7 descriptors thereby wiping out the files.

Is there another program that may do a better job?

It is my intent to clone the drive if I can repair it. I have backed it up using the Norton System on the 7 computer.

Crapgame
7 or 11

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

<< I read something on the net that chkdsk \r in 7 would wipe out the security descriptors on the Vista disk...>>

Can you post a link to such?

I don't claim to be all-knowing or anything like that...but chkdsk /r is a file check mechanism and checks the file system existent on a given partition, regardless of O/S.

I dual-boot and I run chkdsk /r on my XP install from Win 7...and on my Win 7 install from XP.  I've never noticed a problem with either after doing such.

Louis

#13 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

No link, I was in my office (which is my truck, complete with inverter, laptop, printer \ scanner and WEB access via BlackBerry) at a construction site today and spent  a couple of hours trying to figure this whole thing out.....  I may be able to check in the morning when I get back on the laptop to see if I can find the link........

and by the way, thanks for your assistance this afternoon \ evening.........

Crapgame
7 or 11

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:14 AM

Mix reactions regarding the BIOHD-8 error code it seems...

Tekken

#15 Crapgame

Crapgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:04 AM

I saw that yesterday, only thing is Chkdsk /r hung on the fourth stage so something may be going on. Based on that, I have an identical unit so I may swap the drives and see what happens......

Will keep you posted.....

Thanks again.....

Crapgame
7 or 11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users