Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

download/upload speeds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 arnrob

arnrob

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

My new laptop comes with an Intel I7 chip and Windows 8. My 4 year old laptop has whatever and runs Windows XP. Have been to a number of sites to test download/upload speeds for each machine. Without exception the old machine runs 4 to 5 times faster than my new laptop. Have run a couple of programs to find viruses and malware. All these show that the new machine is clean.

At my wits end as to what to do next

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Founder

Founder

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

Arnrob,

Have you noticed a significant difference in speed using wireless vs wired? Please post your answer and we'll try to narrow this down. :thumbup2:

#3 arnrob

arnrob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

Many thanks for your response. I have, in fact, tried both wireless and wired. There was no discernible difference in the download/upload speeds.

Arnrob

#4 Founder

Founder

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

Arnrob,

We'll need a few details to try to pointpoint the problem:

• Edition of Windows 8 (Home,Pro,Enterprise)
  • Name and version of installed Anti-Virus/Security/Firewall software
  • Laptop model# and date of manufacture (if available)
  • Speedtest.net results from the laptop and from the old machine
  • Winsat disk performance results in command prompt (To open an elevated command prompt window, click Start, type 'Command', right-click Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator.) Run the following commands:
    • winsat disk -seq -read -drive c

• winsat disk -seq -write -drive c

---

Edited by Founder, 30 July 2013 - 12:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users