Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove software w/ no uninstaller present

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Pstrflsh

Pstrflsh

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

I am using Windows XP SP3 on an HP a819n Desktop. A few years ago, I purchased Venta Fax and Voice v. 5.61. Now, I have cancelled my land line and so have no need of the program. I find there is no uninstaller present and it is not listed in Add/Remove. I contacted the vender but they say it is so old that they don't remember how to remove it. (I swear, that's what they said.)

Can someone please help me with advice on how to get rid of this software?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

You might try Revo Uninstaller Freeware

#3 BrainwasteUSA

BrainwasteUSA

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

Revo Uninstaller Pro would be a far superior choice.

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

The Revo Uninstaller Freeware should remove that program for you.  IMO, no need to pay $39.25 for the pro version when wanting to remove just one program.

Do you by any chance still have the Venta program CD?  You may find instructions for uninstall directions on it.

Rosie 

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#5 Pstrflsh

Pstrflsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hi Rosie,

There was never a CD involved. The software was downloaded from the vendors website which was, I believe, in Australia. As a mater of fact, I recall it was an unusual (in my experience) procedure. When you paid for the product, you got something like a key which then allowed  for the program to be installed from the website. I also bought an audio editor from them which worked the same way. (Wavepad) They (the vendor) are not super easy to work with but both programs have worked well for me. Whenever I download software, I always save it in case I need to reinstall in the future. Except these two. Writing this caused me to think to check and Wavepad seems to also not have an uninstaller. Hmmmm...

Can you tell me why you recommend Revo as opposed to PerfectUninstaller or MightyUninstaller or ...?

Thanks,

Ken

#6 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

Because it works, and works well. ;)

#7 BrainwasteUSA

BrainwasteUSA

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

You to not have to pay one red cent for the pro version...provided you know where to look.

I use the pro version all the time as it is far better than the crappy Add/Remove that is built in

to the Window$ operating system.

Edited by BrainwasteUSA, 27 July 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#8 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:28 AM

Ken, to be honest, I've never heard of the other apps you mentioned.  I have only used Revo a couple of times.  It has always worked well for me and came highly recommended by Bleeping Computer.  I did a ton of Googling regarding the Venta products and reached the same results you have experienced.  Apparently, customer service isn't their number one goal. 

Have you looked in the Venta program folder to see if there might be some obscure "Read This" text file with uninstall instructions?  Using Revo would be the simple route as it will get rid of all the junk associated with the program in question.  It's an easy-to-use utility even for an old fogey like me.  :wink:

Rosie

#9 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

You to not have to pay one red cent for the pro version...provided you know where to look.

No thanks. I'd rather stay legal and be fair to the developers.

Edited by SpywareDoc, 28 July 2013 - 07:14 AM.

#10 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

No thanks. I'd rather stay legal and be fair to the developers.

Thank you for addressing that comment.  I started to but couldn't come up with a polite way of doing it. 

#11 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

No problem. Glad I was able to help. :)

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

And I'll make it official so others who may happen onto this topic are aware of the situation: From the Bleeping Computer forum rules.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Bold is mine to highlight the relevant subject matter.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 Pstrflsh

Pstrflsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

Sorry it took so long to report back. I could not make Revo work for me. It did not recognize that the installation exists. I note that the instructions start with "Go to add/remove programs...". Like I said, VentaFax is not listed there because there is no un-installer.

#14 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

Try this:

#15 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

Hi Ken, I'm surprised the Venta files\folders didn't show up in the Revo "Uninstaller" column.  Usually that lists everything on your computer.

Sorry it took so long to report back. I could not make Revo work for me. It did not recognize that the installation exists. I note that the instructions start with "Go to add/remove programs...". Like I said, VentaFax is not listed there because there is no un-installer.

Could you open Revo Uninstaller and make a screenshot to post here so we can see what you are seeing?  I'll attempt to attach a copy of mine.  Well, forget that.  Never figured out how to add an image.

Where exactly do you see the Venta files\folders when you click on Programs in Windows?  Right click on the folder icon and select Properties, then make a note of the exact location shown.  Or you can click on the location to highlight it then copy and paste in a reply here at BP.

As a last resort, I guess you could Delete all folders\files connected to Venta but I really don't recommend that method.  There would still be "leftovers" in the registry.

Rosie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users