Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-virus/ Firewall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vince86

Vince86

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:47 PM

Hi my nortons internet security 2005 is expriing and i wanted to know what kind of anti virus and firewall combos are out there that are better. I looked through the forums and found that alot of people recommend the freeware antivirus and firewalls but im a bit skeptical about these "free" programs. Can anyone help me find a antivirus / firewall program that i can buy? or maybe convince me that freeware is the right way to go? thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:58 PM

I've been using AVG (free version) anti-virus and Zone Alarm (free) on both of my computers for some time now and haven't had any problems with either one. FWIW

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:06 PM

While this has been discussed many times before, I would only summarise most member's experience in saying that the free applications are as good as the ones you pay for; although they might not have all the bells and whistles of their paid counterparts, the basic functionality is the same. Members have used the freeware applications on this list with success:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:00 PM

Ooops, maybe I wasn't supposed to reply. Sorry if I stepped on toes.

#5 ssfire

ssfire

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

Many of the anti-virus and firewall programs such as AVG and ZoneAlarm have comercial versions available. I too use AVG(free) which is updated daily Mon-Fri. ZoneAlarm is a very good firewall although I use Kerio 2.1.5 as it seems to be a little less taxing on the system. Kerio 2.1.5 is out dated and no longer supported however the latest version is supported by Sunbelt software and there is a comercial version as well as a free version. A number of the full featured (comercial) versions can be downloaded and used for a short evaluation period and then will revert to the free version.

To me it seems a little more easy to develop a wider encompassing layered defense with the free versions of the different applications available.

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:55 PM

Ooops, maybe I wasn't supposed to reply. Sorry if I stepped on toes.

That is just fine joe883. Bleeping Computer is a community where we all assist each other.
If you think you can provide a helpful reply, then please do not hesitate. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#7 Vince86

Vince86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:59 PM

thanks for all the help, i downloaded avg and zonealarm, but there is a problem, i use to see 300000 files scanned by nortons antivirus but avg only scanned 64000, is there something wrong? are there file not being scanned, i selected the hard drive scan for avg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users