Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple: This is what I think I want to do. Will it all work.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LiquidFox

LiquidFox

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

I have a HP P6610f desktop, 4gb RAM, AMD Athlon II X4 635, 2.9ghz processor. Integrated Radeon HD 4200 graphics card. 250w power supply.

I want to be able to play games like Arma 2 [DayZ], Sims 3, Anno 2070 on high settings, and newer games on mid settings. Nothing too spectactular, just tired of missing out on fun times. 

I figure I can purchase 8gb of RAM [2x4gb], a Radeon HD 7770 graphics card, and a 400w+ power supply and I will be where I want to be.

I don't know if I'd possibly need another fan or way of cooling. Just looking for any help, guidance or recommendations. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

You should be able to do that, but I would suggest going for a 500W power supply and maybe a 7850 if your budget allows.  However, you are going to be limited by the Athlon II X4, which was more of a stripped down Phenom II X4.  If you have the money, I would say go for a new CPU while you're at it, but that will most likely require a new motherboard, if you go for the FX processors, and a new copy of Windows.  None of those games, except maybe ArmA, require a great deal of CPU power, so you don't really need the latest and greatest.

3939.png

#3 LiquidFox

LiquidFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

Alright, thanks. Yea I am running on a limitied budget, 200-300$ range, so I am trying to avoid rebuilding the whole thing. Ideally if I can just play these games, get by for a few months, I will save up and purchase a nice looking tower and build a good franken-computer. Thanks for the response, all are welcome.

#4 LiquidFox

LiquidFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

To add, I can currently play Arma and DayZ, so is it bad to build my way up? What is wrong with this order [I am impatient and would like to buy a part or two every so often] Radeon Hd 7770 graphics card with a 500w psu -> 8gb RAM and new case -> A CPU and motherboard

Now, what will be the problem with my Athlon? I know it is older, but I don't know what the difference between the two is. Everything I know I've learned from the internet and forums and using SIW [http://www.gtopala.com/] on my own computer. I had a decent laptop and it no longer works, so I purchased a desktop. I am just learning how to improve it.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

The Athlon II was used more for standard home office PC's that have little need for every performance advantage, the Phenom II has more cache which gives it an edge.  The FX line of CPU's are different beasts entirely.  Be careful buying parts like that, you don't want to wait too long between buying parts as they may go obsolete. 

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users