Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible for my paranoid thoughts to be a real concern?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

I have a 2 year subscription to Webroot SecureAnywhere. I don't know how this happened. I was just watching a video on Youtube and then this thought popped in my head. I know, it doesn't make sense, but when I get a thought like this, I become VERY paranoid about it. So I would like some real answers, not troll answers. Is it possible for your anti-virus (free and paid) to create an error in anyway when backing up files on an external hard drive? Even if the data transfer is completed and all appears to be OK, is it possible when I try to transfer the files from 1 laptop that has Webroot SecureAnywhere installed on it to another laptop that doesn't have Webroot SecureAnywhere installed on it, the laptop that doesn't have Webroot SecureAnywhere installed on it won't recognize the external hard drive or something and my files will be lost? Again, I know this makes ZERO sense, but I'm kind of a paranoid person. I'd rather ask this ridiculous question and get answers from people who have experience in the world on computers vs being paranoid about this.

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

Hi,
AV programs don't usually 'create' errors or error messages. If a file has beed scanned and found clean on the way in [during downloading] it may become infected while on the hard drive. It might also become corrupted in such a way that it looks like an infection to the AV program.
If you attach an external HDD to a laptop and boot the laptop it should recognize the drive is there and load the correct drivers so that you can use it. It shouldn't make any difference which AV program is present, or missing. The only time there will be conflicts and problems is when you have two different AV programs that are doing realtime scanning on the same system at the same time.
Not sure I've answered all of your questions or calmed all of your fears. If I've missed anything please repost as a single question or concern and I'll try again. Til then

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

As dicke indicate, it's the operating system, Windows itself, that recognizes (or fails to recognize) external drives and devices...not security programs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users