Hi, I have a friend's HP laptop with Windows 7. When I press the power button, it shows the HP splash screen and then a black screen with a blinking cursor.
She said that she was working on her online schoolwork and left the room. When she came back, it restarted to the black screen with a blinking cursor.
- I tried F8 to access the Advanced Boot Menu but it wouldn't load.
- I also tried F11 to boot to the recovery partition but that won't load either.
- She does not have her original Windows disks.
- I can boot to BIOS, so I ran the hard drive self test and the memory test and they both passed.
- I check the boot options and the hard drive is the first option. (Her CD/DVD drive is the second option, but there is no CD/DVD in the drive).
- I took out the hard drive and scanned it with Malwarebytes on my desktop, but there were no threats found.
- I tried to run chkdsk on the partition with the OS while it was plugged into my desktop, but I get a message asking about mounting the volume, so I selected 'No'. Then it says that chkdsk cannot run on the drive because it is in use by another process, would you like to schedule a chkdsk the next time the system restarts and I selected 'Yes'. (I'm not sure how or why it thinks the drive is in use, but I restarted the desktop and I also removed the drive and put it back in the HP laptop and restarted it, but neither option ran chkdsk.)
- I saved her documents and photos onto my desktop
Does anyone have any suggestions for me to get Windows 7 running on her hard drive again? Thank you, I really appreciate any suggestions.