Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD Passport w/ Proprietary Interface & Microusb Jack has failed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Hi guys, WD Passport usb jack failing, solder is fine but jack itself is fubar

TLDR Below, extra info at bottom:

Im looking for input as to how people have replaced these enclosures in the past, as the drive is 100% in working condition, but the microusb jack is failing and wont power on unless its pressed/tilted up as though the jack needs resoldering but upon inspection the solders are just fine, its the jack itself that is broken internal some how.

I cannot find replacement enclsoures for these drives, the drives PCB is attached to the drive so they are inseparable and to add insult to injury it does not use a standard SATA->USB type adapter, its one of WD's proprietary plugs and I cannot find any information as to how to obtain a plug (not that i want to anyway)

------------------------------------------

Sorry for the long title just trying to describe the issue that is currently frustrating me on this WD Passport external hard drive.

Firstly its in one of the black small enclosures that basically "clasps" into drive as the drive sits in a square frame to slip into the clam-like shell in case anyone was wondering.

P/N WDBAAA5000ABK -

http://www.google.com/#output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=wdbaaa5000abk-00&oq=wdbaaa&gs_l=hp.3.0.0l10.203.7130.1.10265.16.11.5.0.0.0.172.1483.0j11.11.0....0...1c.1.21.hp.HKXEDW0OW5Q&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49478099,d.eWU&fp=4bc911a2592fcf00&biw=1280&bih=883

Secondly I am currently retrieving the data off the drive,

But i still want to know if anyone has replaced the enclosure on these drives, obtained a plug for this proprietary interface or have any other tips/tricks that will help me keep this 100% useful, working drive that will otherwise go unused... >_<

Edited by drwmbt, 22 July 2013 - 10:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drwmbt

drwmbt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

ok so after reading up on this hard drive and finding out about other people in the same boat as me over this crummy usb jack they've attached to the PCB I have decided on hard wiring a usb cable to this jack to delete the jack, per se.

The only cable i have to use is a usb A->B (large box) cable with the capacitor at the end by the b plug, do i cut the capacitor off to keep the electricity from stepping up and frying the PCB of the external? Or is the capacitor necessary to regulate the power going to the drive? Also, does anyone know off hand the wire soldering order for attaching USB directly to the jack?

edit: Just got a pinout diagram offline for a micro-b slot and it has 5 "cables" with 1,2,3,5 being the normal 1-4 and the 4th pin being a ground or "none" for micro-b can anyone confirm that i leave this pin without a wire when i go to do my soldering? And also any help about the capacitor is appreciated as well.

Edited by drwmbt, 22 July 2013 - 12:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users