Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade or build new rig?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 wjason777

wjason777

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

Hello, I build a pc back in 2008-09. It has Vista ultament 64bit, Intel i7 965 Extreme Editon. GeForce GTX 275 896MB, Evga 758 A1 motherboard, corsair dominator 3x 2GB Ram. 2x Westin Digital 500gb hdd
This has been a awesome system no hardware problems what so ever. It's just that all these new games and software that's coming out my graphics card can't handle it. My pc can't even play Civilization V on low settings. Some programs takes forever to load, virus are very easy to be installed even with virus software installed.
Most of my problems would be solved if I upgrade to windows 7 or 8. Vista sucks. I could also just u
pgrade the video card to play the latest games.

But is it worth upgrading or should I just build a new system.
I've been away from the Pc world for about a year now. What CPUs are the bet out there. Been looking at the AMDs 8cores but if I go with a AMF build there's not any good motherboards out compared to the Intel based ones
Then I've been hearing that the 4th gen intel CPUs are nice.
Can someone give me some advice on what route I should take. ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

Hi, For what its worth I would upgrade. My main desktop is a I7-930 CPU build and it has plenty of speed. Your CPU is faster than mine. Every version of Windows can catch Viruses, even Windows 8.

If this were My computer I would add a 250 to 300 gigabyte Samsung or Intel SSD as my Operating System Drive and Windows 7 or Windows 8 using this tutorial

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

I used that "Classic Shell" on a Windows 8 laptop that I Gave away and it worked really nice for the person as they had been using Vista.

The SSD will let Your computer boot much faster and load programs much faster too. I suspect that any Game that is always loading things off of the hard drive would benefit too.

For Viruses I install "Web of Trust" into my browsers, Internet Explorer and Firefox. Keep the Windows installation up to date with the Microsoft updates, Keep Flash Player and Adobe Reader updated. I do not install JAVA. I also Run Norton Antivirus and Malwarebytes Pro.

Any Antivirus is better than none.

The Combination I use has caught many malicious webpages when I am browsing the Internet via Google for example.

The other thing to remember is that no defense is perfect. You need to use common sense to. If it looks to good to be true.......

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 22 July 2013 - 07:46 AM.
Additional Content

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

Hi, For what its worth I would upgrade. My main desktop is a I7-930 CPU build and it has plenty of speed. Your CPU is faster than mine. Every version of Windows can catch Viruses, even Windows 8.

If this were My computer I would add a 250 to 300 gigabyte Samsung or Intel SSD as my Operating System Drive and Windows 7 or Windows 8 using this tutorial
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/
I used that "Classic Shell" on a Windows 8 laptop that I Gave away and it worked really nice for the person as they had been using Vista.

The SSD will let Your computer boot much faster and load programs much faster too. I suspect that any Game that is always loading things off of the hard drive would benefit too.

For Viruses I install "Web of Trust" into my browsers, Internet Explorer and Firefox. Keep the Windows installation up to date with the Microsoft updates, Keep Flash Player and Adobe Reader updated. I do not install JAVA. I also Run Norton Antivirus and Malwarebytes Pro.

Any Antivirus is better than none.
The Combination I use has caught many malicious webpages when I am browsing the Internet via Google for example.
The other thing to remember is that no defense is perfect. You need to use common sense to. If it looks to good to be true.......

Good Luck
Roger

Thanks for the advise. Would look at getting a SSD also. But let me ask you this what operating system is better. Windows 7 or windows 8. I know windows 7 pro has Xp mode and Xp was awesome.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

Hi, As a personal opinion and that is all it can be.

Windows 7 is better unless you have a touch screen, With a touch screen You might like Windows 8.

My suggestion is go try out some windows 8 computers. W,indows 7 is more like Vista in the interface.

To me Windows 8 is more like a smart phone interface. That is why I installed Classic Shell on the Windows 8 laptop before I gave it to her. She was using Vista.

XP mode is not available on Windows 7 Home, It is available On Windows 7 Pro. I will say that even Though I could install it, I never bothered install XP mode. I find that I like many of the features in Windows 7 that are not there in XP.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

Personally i would get Windows 8 because Microsoft had put a lot of work in the memory management, so it should be much more efficient and the start up time is much faster then Windows 7. As a gamer, Windows 8 isn't that bad at all for playing games and Toms Hardware did a test whether to see if there was FPS increase in games with Windows 7 and 8. In some games there was a substantial increase but most of similar. I would just upgrade the GPU and OS, apart from that, everything looks sweet.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

What do you guys think about the ram.? Currently It's DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 8-8-8-24. Would my board even support anything that's newer and faster?

#7 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

What are you all suggestion about a iMac i7 with a fusion drive?

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:31 AM

I wouldn't get the Mac if you still plan to do some gaming and your current ram is perfectly fine.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

Hello, I build a pc back in 2008-09. It has Vista ultament 64bit, Intel i7 965 Extreme Editon. GeForce GTX 275 896MB, Evga 758 A1 motherboard, corsair dominator 3x 2GB Ram. 2x Westin Digital 500gb hdd
This has been a awesome system no hardware problems what so ever. It's just that all these new games and software that's coming out my graphics card can't handle it. My pc can't even play Civilization V on low settings. Some programs takes forever to load, virus are very easy to be installed even with virus software installed.
Most of my problems would be solved if I upgrade to windows 7 or 8. Vista sucks. I could also just u
pgrade the video card to play the latest games.

But is it worth upgrading or should I just build a new system.
I've been away from the Pc world for about a year now. What CPUs are the bet out there. Been looking at the AMDs 8cores but if I go with a AMF build there's not any good motherboards out compared to the Intel based ones
Then I've been hearing that the 4th gen intel CPUs are nice.
Can someone give me some advice on what route I should take. ?

My rig is from 2005-06 ish. I'm still running the same CPU overclocked to 3.5 and same EVGA L755 Mobo. I finally upgraded my graphics card this last year from a Nvidia 8800GT to a GTX 660 and added more ram. I'm back to being able to run most games at high, some at max, based on just upgrading the graphics card and ram. Spent maybe $300 on upgrades, which is cheaper than a new i7 by a little and cheaper than a brand new rig by far. 

I recommend you buy the graphics card that you would want if you were putting together a new rig and put it in your current system. If at a later time you want to build a new PC, then you've already got the graphics card to put in it.

#10 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

What graphics card that is out right now that are getting the beet reviews and gives everyone the more bang for there buck. ?

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Depending on your budget, the bang for the buck graphics card is the AMD Radeon HD 7850 or 7870.

>Michael 

#12 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

If say my budget would be $200-$250

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

http://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-256-bit-CrossFireX-AX7850-2GBD5-DH/dp/B0083W9KXA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1374619452&sr=8-7&keywords=AMD+Radeon+HD+7850

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131482

Louis

#14 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

$250 will grab you a Radeon HD 7850 or a GTX 760. Either option is good, but you can save $50 bucks if you go with the Radeon 7850. 

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-7850-vs-GeForce-GTX-760

It'll take some time for you to dig through all the reviews online, but I'd spend some time looking around to find out one that's perfect for you. What kind of games are you looking to play? Games like CIV 5 wont need max frames per/sec, but you may want to drop a few extra bucks if your looking to play some of the new Shooters online. It's nice to be able to play online with gorgeous visuals, but I honestly turn down most video settings to keep 60 frames and help cut down the latency with other players. Nothing worse than shooting at a player that's not even standing there anymore. 

Edited by AdagioBoognish, 23 July 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#15 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

How do I know if those cards will work with my motherboard. I dont think they would.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users