Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easy method to install operational new HD in PC?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

I wish to change my (failing I think)  IDE HD to a new functioning  IDE .

Would it be an easy way to do this having my OS plus everything else on the new one by first connecting up the new one by using an IDE HD Caddy USB external HDD enclosure and first creating  a Macrium/Acronis image of the old HD to the new one and then just changing over?

This instead of imaging on a third party medium and restoring.  Any advice - thanks.

XP Home SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

Yes, commonly called cloning. There's usually a specific function in the software to image across in this way, I don't use Reflect but Acronis TI certainly has the clone function for drive migration.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

I use Macrium...you can clone or make backups, dealer's choice :).

Louis

#4 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

Many hard drive manufacturers currently license Acronis's cloning utility with their drives. The software is generally included on disk with a retail drive, but is available as a free download for other drives. Simple to use, works well. Certainly my tool of choice.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:10 AM

Thanks for your responses.

I've been told that just an image is not sufficient - I'll need a CD boot disk too but obtainable on free downloads - even a Linux one will work too it seems.

The new HD first imaged in a caddy idea hasn't been dismissed so that's good.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Regardless of what you have been told...an image is an exact duplicate of the original.  If it is properly made, it stands alone as bootable/operational.

There is no reason for any other considerations, if the clone is made properly.

Louis

#7 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for that Louis, but there is, for me, a lot of confusion on this matter of clone v image. Even your response says, " an image is an exact duplicate of the original." and then follows with, " if the clone is made properly."

Also, 'properly'? How could it be done improperly - if that is possible it would be something to guard against, look out for.

Now look at this from a PC World info. which seems to describe some differences between the two -  my comments in {  }:

"Both cloning and imaging create an exact record of your drive or partition. I'm not just talking about the files, but the master boot record, allocation table, and everything else needed to boot and run your operating system.

... should your hard drive crash or Windows become hopelessly corrupt, a clone or image backup can quickly get you back to work.
{Well that's reassuring, imaging or cloning both good for my purpose in replacing my HD with the XP OS}

When you clone a drive, you copy everything on it onto another drive, so that the two are effectively identical. Normally, you would clone to an internal drive made external via a SATA/USB adapter or enclosure.
{That's my intention and then to swap them over}
{'effectively' - what does this mean?}

But imaging a drive is more like creating a great big .zip file (without the .zip extension). Image backup software copies everything on the drive into a single, compressed, but still very large file. You would probably save the image onto an external hard drive.

So what are the advantages of each?

Should your primary hard drive crash, a clone will get you up and running quickly. All you have to do is swap the drives.
{Wonderful}

On the other hand, if your drive crashes and you've backed it up to an image, you'd have to buy and install a new internal hard drive {done so}, boot from your backup program's emergency boot disc, and restore the drive's contents from the backup.
{So backing up from an image needs an emergency boot disk - is this somewhere in the image I've made? I haven't noticed it. I've taken a look at the external drive contents containing the image files from Macrium but I see no boot info. I wanted to include here those files for you to look at but it seems I can't attach a file in this forum}.

No need for you to go into all this if replacing my imaged drive into the PC will automatically boot up as normal and I won't notice any difference but for the change in HD capacity from 80 GB to 160GB

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

You are making this needlessly complicated.

Macrium, Acronis, and likely Ghost,  will all make a clone of your current hard drive.  Follow directions and go. 

You can also get a duplicator, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817801093 .  I have this one and it is 2 for 2 for cloning, plus it is also a USB3 docking bay, so a plus for that.

The only time you really need bootable media (CD/DVD) is if you have a no boot situation, and you need to restore a drive from a backup that is compressed/zipped etc.  If you have a cloned drive, then you can indeed just swap it out and go.

Just noticed you are using IDE drives, ignore the duplicator I listed above.  I will leave the link there in case anyone else is in a similar situation with SATA drives.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

<<Also, 'properly'? How could it be done improperly - if that is possible it would be something to guard against, look out for...>>

By that, I mean RTFM and follow the given directions for using the tool, whichever it may be :).

Many users don't even bother to read directions, help menus and such...and they seem to believe that using any program is supposed to be intuitive.  Well...if it was "intuitive", I doubt that the developer would bother creating all those things that users seem to ignore...that tell how to use the program to get the desired results.

Result...a "clone" by the standards of the user who failed to follow instructions....a useless piece of work, in my eyes.

I understand what you are saying...but I've not found very many useful programs that cannot be undermined by a user who just doesn't care and thnks her/his computer is akin to...a TV, a toaster, etc.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 July 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#10 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

zzzz, you shouldn't have any problems cloning the drive using most disk copy utilities from within a functional copy of Windows. Many utilities give you an option to create a bootable disk and run the utility from there. But really, in the end, instead of just nattering on and on and on and looking for hairs to split, just do it. Even if you manage to screw up the copy, or encounter an issue with the software, you still have the original drive. You can try again. This isn't brain surgery.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,032 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

(Quote....help manual)...Macrium Reflect             Disk Imaging

You can create an accurate and reliable Image of a hard disk or partitions on a disk. Using this image you can restore the entire disk, partition or individual files and folders in the event of a partial or complete system loss.

You can create full, differential, and incremental images to optimize backup speed and disk space requirements.

Cloning

Clone your system disks to ensure that you are able to hot swap failed disks out of your system and get things back up and running again in minutes.

Therefore...Imaging gives you a choice to select individual files, partitions, etc...or the whole disc. Cloning, on the other hand, takes the whole DISC.

Amen  ?

Edited...Spelling

Edited by Condobloke, 25 July 2013 - 10:11 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:46 AM

Amen? - I hope so.

The splitting hair questions I have been asking do not necessarily relate to what exactly to do but comments by others raise related points of which I am ignorant so wish to learn and expand my knowledge.

Thanks to all who have given their time and effort in explaining this procedure - much appreciated. I got my enclosure yesterday so now about to do the needful.

#13 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

Not quite amen yet!

Disk size is 80gb to be cloned.

I'm running the cloning now (Macrium) but I'm sure all is not right. Now the running time is 1h 3mins the cloning screen says:

Creating volume snapshots

Overall progress  0%

Current progress 0%

Progress bar moving across

My disk usage : Read 0%, Write 0%

As there is only a 'Hide' button the Cancel being greyed out I don't see a reasonable solution unless this is how it's supposed to be.

Please advise - thanks

#14 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

Decided to stop this but Restart did nothing and also Shut Down - had to press and hold the off button!

Restarted the whole cloning - same thing - no progress so pressed the off button again. 

Going out so later to see if any advice proffered.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

Macriums should clone an 80GB drive in less than 30 minutes, based on what I experience.

Clearly...your effort was in vain.

a.  Put check mark in front of partition/drive to be cloned.

b.  Underneath the area displaying that drive...put check mark in CLONE option.

c.  Put check mark in front of destination drive/partition.

And so on...

If a drive is damaged, Macrium is not likely to clone it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users