Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply making faint crackling sound, even when off

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Imaku

Imaku

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:27 AM

Recently, the power supply unit in my tower has been making a faint, sort of crackling sound. Initially I thought it was just the fan, but after a couple days of use in this state I found that the unit makes the sound even when the computer itself is shut off but still connected to a wall outlet. I have sensitive ears, and i could only hear the sound when the computer is off with my ear only an inch or two away from the power supply, nobody else in my family could hear it.

The sound is more audible and crackles at a faster rate when the computer is turned on, but is still not especially loud, you would be unlikely to notice it unless you were specifically listening for any unusual sounds. What do you think is causing the problem, if it is a problem, and would i be able to fix it? Or do I have to replace the unit?

The power supply is a 1005W TechNPS. Thank you for your help!

Edited by Imaku, 22 July 2013 - 04:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:45 AM

Since we can't hear the problem, it's pretty hard to make a diagnosis. However I note the PSU has active PFC (Power Factor Correction), which has been known to produce noise which will vary with the load on the PSU. Active PFC will also still be in operation when the PSU is in standby.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Imaku

Imaku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the reply! The sound is similar to the sound that happens when you hold a light switch between the on and off position, except more abrupt, with pauses between each little popping noise. The microphone on my phone doesn't seem to be sensitive enough to pick up the noise, so I can't provide a sample, sorry.

#4 Imaku

Imaku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:40 AM

The unit also made a louder buzzing noise at one point that also persisted when the computer was off, but this only happened once and went away after i unplugged it for the night. The crackling has been there almost consistently after it started.

Edited by Imaku, 23 July 2013 - 03:41 AM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:11 AM

Unfortunately, "crackling" doesn't really allow us to make a worthwhile diagnosis on a forum. There are electronic and mechanical noises that can answer that description, and they could vary from harmless to serious, but a technician would have to hear the sound and probably make some electrical tests to confirm.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Imaku

Imaku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:05 AM

Alright, so this is either a bigger problem than I thought, or not a problem at all. It seems that everything in my house that converts AC to DC is making this noise, the computer's power supply is just especially loud about it. This only seems to happen when a lot of power is being used, as far as I can tell, because the sound isn't being made at 2 AM when the rest of my family is asleep. I tested the voltage of some of the power outlets, and the numbers were normal, so I honestly have no clue what could be causing this.

Speakers that plug into the wall also make the crackling sound, and it comes out of the speakers, getting louder as you turn the volume up. This doesn't happen when it's not happening top anything else. I don't know if this is just normal interference that I haven't noticed before, or something more serious. Not a problem with just the power supply anymore, for sure, so not really suitable for this forum anymore, I suppose, haha. If anybody has any sort of input on this new problem, though, that would be great, and I would be very appreciative!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users