Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 vs Old Bloke.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 blueballs

blueballs

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

My daughter was syncing some music to her ipod when she told me she couldnt drag and drop? I noticed that the start menu wouldnt open either unless I pressed the microsoft button on the keyboard then it would work again with the mouse by clicking it.My computer has become unresponsive to mouse clicks until I press the M/S button again? I did an sfn-scannow (something like that) it didnt show up anything? Then I ran microsoft essentials,TDS Killer,malwarebytes and avast but nothing showed up,next I did a system restore,the run in test didnt show anything either, on a whim I changed the name of the computer and now my files dont go to their original place and I still have the same problem I started with? LOL so I did another system restore to change the name back but I couldnt do it because the name change page didnt come up again? I changed the name in accounts but I cant change the users file name back? Ive seen the tutorial to change it back but Im worried that I might stuff up again so Ive deceided I had better ask for some help from the experts. I have backed up my files on an external hardrive.What do you suggest I should do next?  P.S. Drag and drop is fixed.

Edited by blueballs, 21 July 2013 - 09:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

Whew... that's a lot of odd conditions......Is the computer still unresponsive to mouse clicks? Try another mouse maybe??? Check Task Manager to see if CPU is running at 100% for some reason also. Uninstall any custom mouse software while you're at it. Is the "Computer Name" tab really missing from the System Properties dialog box?? That sounds like an altered or corrupted registry. Maybe try creating a brand new user acct w/admin access and transfer all your files to it. Although I generally advise against the "nuke and rebuild" method of repair, your problems may warrant something that severe. With some more testing and additional info, we might be able to help you solve this before doing the dreaded format and reinstall.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#3 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

Hi Panicky, yes its unresonsive to mouse clicks until I press the microsoft button on the keyboard then it will work,other things that happen is that the page Im on will just disappear,text will flicker and grey out on alternative lines and different icons and things will quickly flash on and off? Ive just plugged in another mouse, the one I was using previously was wireless.Things are OK now seems alright at the moment? The name on my user folder is not the original one I had because I changed it not realising the consequences of my actions when I tried to restore my files to their original places. I changed everything back to normal(administrater name ect...) except for the user folder because I cant find any way to do it?

#4 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:12 AM

Continue using the new mouse to make sure that fixes your mouse problems.

You should be able to change the username of any account via Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Change your account name. Change it back to exactly what it was originally. Go to C:\Users, and see if the folder is there with the correct name. It will probably have a lock icon on it. If all is good you should be back on track. Changing the account name in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts will not change the name of that user's Personal folder. The only way to have them match is to change back to the original in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts, or create a whole new user, which will then create a whole new matching Personal folder for that user.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#5 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:09 AM

Continue using the new mouse to make sure that fixes your mouse problems.

You should be able to change the username of any account via Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Change your account name. Change it back to exactly what it was originally. Go to C:\Users, and see if the folder is there with the correct name. It will probably have a lock icon on it. If all is good you should be back on track. Changing the account name in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts will not change the name of that user's Personal folder. The only way to have them match is to change back to the original in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts, or create a whole new user, which will then create a whole new matching Personal folder for that user.

I tried creating a new account but it wont let me use the original name that I have reset for adminisrater?

#6 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:10 AM

I forgot to mention that the new mouse didnt fix the problem .

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:18 AM

I forgot to mention that the new mouse didnt fix the problem .

Uninstall mouse driver via device manager and reboot to see if it's a driver issue.

#8 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

How am I going to reboot if Ive disabled the mouse driver?

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:56 AM

Keyboard > Ctrl + Alt + Del > up/down/left/right keys to navigate to Reboot > Enter.

#10 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:50 AM

It didnt make any difference until I I shut it down and removed the graphics card then booted it then replaced it again and it seems to be OK,the only thing is windows says that kdbsync.exe  is not working? Now I need to rename my user account so I can restore things to their original places and get everything working again,any ideas?

Edited by blueballs, 22 July 2013 - 04:54 AM.

#11 NorthernScally

NorthernScally

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

Personally i tend not to panic any more when things go wrong. I used to spend hours looking for solutions. now i have everything i want backed up on my external drive so i just do a clean install of windows and start again, it is alot easier and less stressfull

#12 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

Thats what Ive done,Ive backed everything up to external hardrives and started again but I changed the name of the computer not knowing it would cause problems when I reinstalled my files and folders,so Ive done a second clean install but there was no opatunity to change the name back again that I could see on the second attempt? Does anyone know how I can do this? I seem to be repeating myself and explaining this over and over again.   

#13 NorthernScally

NorthernScally

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:00 AM

you say reinstall your files , did you back up using windows back up tool ( or some other program ) ? . so when you go to "reinstall" them they cant find where to go ? ( i dont back up in that sense of the word i copy and paste my folders i want to keep onto my hard drive, then copy and paste back on clean install) . IF that is the case try right clicking on the back up the open instead of restore . you should be able to unrar them using winrar then copy and paste to where you want them

#14 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

Im getting nowhere here fast,I will explain again.Ive inadvertently changed the name of my computer on a reinstall of windows 7 and in doing so it has changed my accounts to that name as well so that when I have tried to reinstall my files (with a program) to their original place it didnt work.I changed all the account names back to what it was before except for my users account because I cant find a way of doing that? I tried another reinstall of windows 7 but it didnt give me the oppatunity of changing the computer name back so now Im at an impasse and Im trying to find a way out if anyone knows how I can do that? Is there a way to change my user account back? Or if I try another reinstall how do I go about changing it back because I couldnt do it last time. If no-one can help me out here this will be my last post,I will have to look elsewhere.

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

At some point in the reinstall process you will be given the opportunity to choose a name for your computer. You can use any name you want. You will also be able to create a user account, again using any name you choose.

How did you inadvertantly change the name of your computer? During a clean install of Windows there is a default name for your computer-that can be changed at that particular screen. When you do a clean install everything on your computer is wiped out, including the computer name and user accounts.

When you installed Windows 7, did you do a clean install or a repair install?

You can change the user name for your account by following the directions given by PanickyD. You did state in your first post that you did that.

I changed the name in accounts but I cant change the users file name back?

However, that will NOT change the name of your user account in My Computer. It will only change the name on the welcome screen.

Example, I have a user account set up for Natalie. That is how it currently appears on the welcome screen.
When I change the name on the account to Grand-Daughter the welcome screen changes to that name under her desktop icon.
welcome-screen-icon.png

When looking at Users in Computer/Local Disk C the name is NOT changed. It still says Natalie.

As you can see in the screenshot the user file name did not change.
local-disks-users.png

when I have tried to reinstall my files (with a program) to their original place it didnt work

What program? Can you provide specific steps about what you did when you tried to restore the files?

There is an option you can try.

If you can open up the backed up folders, you can try a copy of the individual files to your user account folder.

Example: Open up My Pictures. Highlight one of the pictures. Hold down the ctrl and A keys at the same time to highlight everything. RIGHT click on one of them, choose Copy.

Next open up your My Pictures folder. RIGHT click and choose Paste. See if they paste to your Pictures folder. If it works, repeat the process for your other files and folders. It may take a while for everything to paste, depending on how many files each folder contains.

If you really want to use the same user name you had before, you can create a user account with that name then copy/paste from your backup to the account.

Since drag and drop works, you can also use that to get them where you want them to be.

After that you can delete the account you don't want.

This is one of those times I'm wishing I lived next door to someone so I can show up and walk you through it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 July 2013 - 11:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users