Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo Firewall crashes my computer?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Punkrulz

Punkrulz

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Hey guys,

Intro: I've had two accounts potentially compromised over the past few weeks. My Origin account (for Battlefield 3) was compromised however I'm pretty sure this was because Ubisoft was compromised and hackers got email accounts and passwords. They used the same information around the same time as the compromise and thus I believe those two are related. However today I received an email from Steam reporting that someone had accessed my account and in order to confirm it I had to enter the code. I have since changed the password, but this lead me to wonder if my computer was actually compromised. I've had Windows Security Essentials installed, but I decided to install Comodo Firewall to make things more secure.

After installing Comodo, the following things would happen. I would begin receiving notifications about various applications trying to do things... apps like iSyncr (used for syncing iTunes music onto an Android phone), HWHydra (ATI software), and dfsvc.exe would attempt to access CurseClient (which was used for other games such as Rift, World of Warcraft, Skyrim, etc... a mod manager.

Around the time that these notifications would appear, the computer would stop responding. The cursor would just be a circle. If I was on Teamspeak 3, I could hear my teammates speak but I couldn't speak back to them. Ctrl+Alt+Del would allow me to bring up the task manager, however it would not load anything within that Window. I rebooted the computer into safe mode and disabled iSyncr, CurseClient, and maybe a few other things from msconfig. After rebooting, I would still have the same problem.

For some reason I guess Comodo is causing my computer to crash but won't allow me to restart explorer.exe. I would like to get this rectified so I can continue being secure and hopefully make sure I'm not compromised. I don't have any other symptoms of a compromise, however again I'm not sure. No unwanted apps that I see, no browser redirectors, nothing.

Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hi -

First please Uninstall your version of Comodo and turn on Windows Firewall. Now see if the problem still exists.

You may have a corrupted Comodo download, so it can always be reinstalled later (not today) -

Thanks -

#3 Punkrulz

Punkrulz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

Noknojon,

I went into safemode and removed Comodo from msconfig. Without it loading up the problem doesn't happen. I'll go ahead and install it. I've already re-enabled Windows Firewall and had to disable the Comodo Firewall Driver from the adapter settings.

I'm going to try to find a means to try to scan the computer and make sure I don't have anything on here... Comodo never had a chance to update and I know the file was uploaded sometime in June (the installer).

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

If required : Turn OFF (disable) your antivirus program while you run the scan(s).

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Thank You -

#5 Punkrulz

Punkrulz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.70  
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled)  
 Internet Explorer 10  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
Microsoft Security Essentials   
  (On Access scanning disabled!)
 Error obtaining update status for antivirus!  
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 SpywareBlaster 4.6    
 SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition   
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300  
 JavaFX 2.1.1    
 Java 7 Update 25  
 Adobe Flash Player 11.8.800.94  
 Mozilla Firefox 9.0 Firefox out of Date!  
 Google Chrome 28.0.1500.71  
 Google Chrome 28.0.1500.72  
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 Microsoft Security Essentials MSMpEng.exe
 Microsoft Security Essentials msseces.exe
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice.exe  
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamgui.exe  
 Comodo Firewall cmdagent.exe
 Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamscheduler.exe   
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 37% Defragment your hard drive soon! (Do NOT defrag if SSD!)
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

Security Essentials was disabled during this check per your request. I was unaware of Spyware Blaster, but I believe the only active thing on right now is MBAM and that trial on that has ended. Security Essentials is the only thing that I actively ever have running.

Also note: That was an old install of Firefox. It did not detect the latest version of Mozilla Firefox that I have. I uninstalled the old version just now.  Also, Drive C: is an SSD so I will follow instructions and not defragment.

Edited by Punkrulz, 22 July 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:11 PM

the only active thing on right now is MBAM and that trial on that has ended. < < There was a known conflict between Comodo and MBAM that may have occured during your Active Trial period of the program.

Since the end of your MBAM Trial, manually check for updates, but the Comodo / MBAM conflict may still exist -

Thanks -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users