Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD slows computer, doesn't open, and isn't recognized til unplugged.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Elboborey

Elboborey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Hi everyone. I've just run into a slight problem with my external hard drive. I'll try to be as thorough as possible.

I have a 500GB Sony HD-EG5 hard drive. It's about a year old. It's USB powered, as in, it has no other power cord.  I'm running Windows 7 on an X-Note laptop. Recently, I have been unable to access it. When I plug it in, it either doesn't show up in My Computer or, a pixelated icon shows up and the green progress bar at the top slowly fills up. It takes several minutes, and when it gets to the end, what looks to be about 97%, it doesn't finish and the hard drive is never opened. 

As I said, there is an icon there, and it is named what it is usually named (F), but it looks like an 8 bit version of the icon. You can't right click on it; if you do, the window freezes and I have to go into task manager to close it. It seems that anything that has to read the drive just slows down; if i start up my laptop with the drive connected, my desktop never loads. If i shutdown with it connected, it never shuts down. It just sits there thinking and thinking. Then, when I unplug the hard drive, it will finish whatever it was doing. The drive is not listed in Disk Management. If I  try to access Disk Cleanup or Disk Defragmenter while the drive is connected, the windows simply do not open. Once I disconnect the drive, they open up. If I plug the drive back in at this point, I can choose it from the list, but when I try to do anything to it it tells me there was an error and to reconnect the drive. In Disk Management I can get it to show up in the BOTTOM pane, not the top pane, and all I can do is click on properties, which doesn't help much.

I've tried it on 3 different computers and with 2 different cables. I seemed to have made some moderate progress on my friend's laptop running Windows 8. At first I was able to actually right click on the drive. I tried formatting it, both the quick and long versions, but both times it said that the format could not be complete.

I'm pretty sure I know what damaged it. I was using it and my laptop on a long bus ride one day, watching a movie that was streaming from it, and I got jostled and the hard drive became unplugged, mid-movie. I'm pretty sure that ruined something. The data on it is not critical. I'd like to retrieve it if possible, but if formatting is my only option, that is fine. Is there some tool I can get, or something I can do in the BIOS? I'd really hate to junk it, I hope it's salvageable. Anyway, thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and help out, it's much appreciated.

Edited by Elboborey, 21 July 2013 - 08:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:58 AM

Then, when I unplug the hard drive, it will finish whatever it was doing.

That would be the PC getting freed from the burden of trying to read corrupt data/sectors/tables on the evil drive.

One could try ones hand at recovery of files/partition tables with TestDisk before proper formatting....

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 932 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:01 AM

Boot to BIOS w/drive attached and see if it recognizes it.

#4 Elboborey

Elboborey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

I tried booting up the laptop in BIOS and I did not see anything. Also I tried that Testdisk tool. At first it would not recognize the drive, but when I unplugged the drive it would then register, just like it does with everything else. I didn't really know what to do though so I scanned it a few times. It didn't really report back anything. One of the scans seemed to say it didn't have any partitions listed and I couldn't write anything to it. What exactly am I looking for with the Testdisk tool?

#5 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

Find the diagnosis tool for your hdd's manufacturer this is a long shot, then you can get the results and as an aside try booting the computer into a Live disc of fedora or some other such linux disc to take a stab at getting it to recognize it, if the drive powers on u can usually recover it from linux.

edit: by recover it i mean recover non-corrupt data.

Edited by drwmbt, 22 July 2013 - 12:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users