Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS BD-RE Drive not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Topolino983

Topolino983

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

My computer is personally constructed with a XION tower box, an MSI MS-7578 motherboard and AMD Phenom !! X4 955 Processor, 23200 mhz. It has 8 GB of DDR3 ram, with a WD 1 GB HD. BIOS version is American Megatrends Inc. V1.6, 12/24/2010. I am using an Ultra 650 watt ATX power supply. I have Windows 7-64 bit OS installed. I have a Sony DRU-830A ATYA DVD-RW and an ASUS BW-12B1ST BD-RE drive. The Sony works fine but the ASUS will not format or burn any discs, CD, DVD or BD (RW or R). I need some help figuring out is the Optical drive is bad or I need different drivers and ASUS has been no help at all.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

You are not the first I have run into saying that ASUS have not been a great deal of help - and I have an ASUS mobo !

Just in case you missed this link on their web-site, try this :

http://www.asus.com/Optical_Drives/BW12B1ST/#support_Download_30

This is the utilities download for Win 7 64, so it may solve your problem.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Topolino983

Topolino983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

I tried this download, it's just a utility for showing how much energy usage you do with your particular drive, no real benefit. Good luck with your MOB.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,553 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

Does the ASUS drive show up in 'Device Manager' ? (Start / right click on Computer / Properties / Device Manager ) . If it does, are there any yellow question marks against it ? If there are, try deleting the drivers from device manager then re-boot. If you are using generic Windows drivers they should re-install themselves on re-boot, if you have an ASUS CD, you will need to re-install them from that.

If the drive doesn't show up in device manager, you could try disconnecting and reconnecting its leads, then check device manager again to see if it has appeared. If it still doesn't show up, the only thing left I can think of is to try it in a different computer. If it still doesn't work, the drive has probably died. They can, and are essentially un-repairable - sorry.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Topolino983

Topolino983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

The ASUS drive does show up in Device Manager and indicates that everything is OK. It will read CD's and DVD's just fine, it simply won't format or write. When trying to do either I get a message that the task could not be completed or there was an error, no additional information. I have tried deleting the drive and restarting windows, but the results are the same. As you say, the drive may be defective. It is less than a year old I believe.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,553 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

As I remember my theory ( ! ), all optical drives use a higher power output from the laser to write or format a disc than they use for reading. It may be your laser is just not reaching the higher power level. If you have another computer to hand, or a friend who will let you take his / hers to pieces, the simplest test would be be to install it in another computer and see if it works in that. An equally good test would be to try a different drive in your computer, if you can borrow one, to see if that drive works. These two together will either point the finger at the drive, or clear it.

Something else you could try is, inside your own computer, powering it with a different SATA power connector and even plugging the data lead into a different socket.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users