Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard disk failure pop up, virus or real problem?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bbqgoat

bbqgoat

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

Here is a picture of the exact pop up I am getting:

2806w40.jpg

I have done a few quick google searches and found that people have had this appear as a malware problem so I'm not 100% sure if it's legit.

I ran Spybot and Malwarebytes and nothing has been detected. My computer has been a little slower since I booted it today, but that may not mean anything.

If this matters at all a few days ago I had caught a "win32.downloader.gen" virus in Spybot which it supposedly got rid of.

Thanks for helping.

Edited by bbqgoat, 21 July 2013 - 04:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

Welcome aboard p22002758.gif

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html/page__view__findpost__p__160520
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://storage.toshiba.com/storage-services-support/warranty-support/software-utilities#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 bbqgoat

bbqgoat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

Thank you for your help. So sadly I have to get a new hard drive :(

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,681 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Did you run any test?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 bbqgoat

bbqgoat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:08 AM

Yes I ran a few different ones. I am actually typing on my phone right Noe since my computer won't boot properly. More on that in a bit. I ran one to find out my hardrive brand and it told me my smart failed. I then ran Seatools and it told me to run the dos one. After running the dos one it told me my smart had tripped.

Right now my computer keeps booting into bios and it took me forever to realize you could just press esc in the setup to boot haha. But I also a found out if I boot without my keyboard plugged in it skips bios.

So after it boots three things either happen. One is it boots properly but extremely slow and eventually it just freezes. The second is it boots to a black screen however I can see my mouse. Last is it just goes back to a splash screen with my PC brand on it.

Does any of this sound familiar? Tried to describe it as best as I could.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,681 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

It definitely looks like you need new drive.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users