Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Pack update failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 copiman

copiman

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

Having a problem with updates for XP Home Edition. Cleaning up the computer went well. Updates were needed. Auto update is now on. Updated alot ok. There is one that will not update:

Microsoft.Net Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Windows 2000 and Windows XP (KB979906).

I figured the folks that were around back in XPs hayday may have run into this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

Try downloading and installing newer versions of "Net Framework". I use "Net Framework 3.5" on my XP PRO machine.

#3 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

Download and run Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool then visit Windows Update and let it try to reinstall the updates. Once it's done, scan again with Windows Update to make sure they installed correctly.

If that doesn't solve it try this...

Uninstall .NET Framework 1.1. Then download the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool
From the drop-down box, select 1.1 and clean.
Reinstall .NET Framework 1.1
Download and install .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Visit Windows Update or Microsoft Update and let it install the rest of the 1.1 updates including KB979906

Ref: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

#4 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

Thanks to all. I did what you said .X.  That took care of it. Once I reloaded 1.1 and the 1.1 service pack 1, the auto updates started coming. I now have service pack 3 as well. Again, thank you for helping me. I learned a lot. Now, I just need to find out why it takes 4 minutes to boot, but am going to wait until all updates are completed. If I cannot speed it up, I will start a new post. Thanks again. Ya'll ROCK.

#5 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users