Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scanning (Using the hardware device known as a scanner)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tellus

tellus

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

I have an older client who has a Windows 7 desktop with a standalone HP Scanner and a printer.  For some reason, when using the copy function (which is meant to send the scan to the printer) the printout is light.  It will usually print straight lines and text okay but not print anything hand-written.  The parts of the document that are not 'thick' seem to get lost in the translation.  Very strange.  It also will not auto-crop correctly.

At any rate, I'm wondering if anyone has come up against the more common problem of the HP/Brother/Canon scan software being a complicated mess and can recommend an aftermarket solution.

I have two choices:

1. Use the existing scanner and printer, but better, simpler, more configurable software

2. Recommend an all-in-one unit that is inexpensive and is proven to work well for an extended period of time.

Just so I don't waste anyone's time, I've already searched around a bit and don't need anyone to search for me - I just want to know someone's solutions that have worked for them.  It seems to me that a lot of us have had clients or family members say "I just want to push one of two buttons and have one of two things happen" and I want to know if anyone has a easy cut and dry method to make that happen - even if it's just a favorite brand or model of multifunction printer.

I've found Paperscan-Free, which looks like it might work, but this person lives out of town so I don't want to drive out and then test it, if you know what I mean.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users