Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can this software be trusted or am I infected?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 StrangerX

StrangerX

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hello, fellow computer users :)

First I want to thank you for giving me this chance to seek help in this amazing forum :)

Second, here is my problem:

While seeking a software to protect my pc from an infected flash drive, I installed this software called USB guardian ( Website: http://www.usb-guardian.com ), and after using it I found it totally useless and doesn't do anything at all, so I started wondering if it's fake. I checked the their website and it said that the software is guaranteed to be clean by Softpedia, however there is nothing about that in softpedia. Also their page on CNET was removed (I know that because there's a cached version in google search).

I checked the setup file (the installer) and Norton said it's good to go, but checking the .exe file in the installation folder, Norton insight said it's bad and there are indications that it's not safe. I uninstalled the software but I'm still worried so I have to ask:

How do I know if this software is safe or not?

Is uninstallation of any software a complete process? or can it leave files behind without deleting that can threaten my pc?

Can I be infected? and how do I know if I am in this case?

Is Norton alone enough for protection form software and malware or do I need an extra software?

Operating system: Windows 8

Security: Norton Internet Security 2013

I really hope you can help me with this matter :) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Softpedia says its an ad-supported application that offers install a toolbar and offers to change your homepage/default search engine. That may be the reason it was removed from CNET.

usb-guardian-setup.exe is the name of the installation file so you should be able to remove it from Add/Remove Programs via Control Panel or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7/8. It most likely added an entry to run itself at Startup so you will need to open Task Manager and end the process before uninstalling.

You may want to get a second opinion. Submit the setup file and the .exe Norton detected to one of the following online services that analyzes suspicious files:--In the "File to Scan" (Upload or Submit) box, browse to the location of the suspicious file(s) and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis. If you get a message saying "File has already been analyzed", click Reanalyze or Scan again.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 StrangerX

StrangerX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Thank you so much quiteman7 for your response :)

I ran the check on both files and they were clean on all the antivirus programs except for Symantec's WS.Reputation.1 which is normal with an independent developer so I guess it's safe now, right?

I also wonder about uninstallation, does windows force any software to be totally uninstalled or can a software trick the system and leave malware or something behind it? 

I mean if I uninstall it then I'm totally safe?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

There can be issues when using Add/Remove or Programs and Features to uninstall software...it does not always work as intended and remove all files, folders, and related registry entries. In some cases, it works better in safe mode which ensures running processes are not present which may interfere or hamper full uninstallation.

This is especially true for anti-virus software which installs itself deep into the operating system core and can be difficult to remove. Most anti-virus vendors offer specialized removal tools because Add/Remove does not always work as intended.

In this case, the tool you downloaded appears simple enough (although I never used it) and should not present a problem. From reading the site details, I suspect it adds a startup entry to the registry so it is always running. Therefore you need to stop the process first or do the uninstall in safe mode.

Since Windows Add/Remove does not always do an adequate job there are several good third party uninstallers which can be used as an alternative:
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 StrangerX

StrangerX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thank you so much quiteman7, you covered all the points I was wondering about :)

I appreciate your help and words are not enough to express it :)

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

You're welcome.