Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build, Random Resets...need suggestions.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mrangel

mrangel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

Now I know there are plenty of posts regarding this same issue. I do plan on running a memory test to see if maybe one my sticks is bad. I just wanted to get the thread going to see if there are any other suggestions I could follow.

My setup is:

Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 (New)
AMD FX 6350 Black Edition (New, Non OC, YET)
Corsair Ballistix 8G Kit DDR3 1600 running 9-9-9-24 1.5v (New)
Gigabyte GTX660 Windforce Ed (Previous Build)
Thermaltake EVO Blue 550w PSU (Previous Build)
Samsung 840 Pro 128G SSD (New)
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB HDD (Previous Build)

Just a little history on what happens. I did the build, fresh install of windows 7 on my SSD, passed POST, booted up, started windows without a problem. As I was installing mobo drivers i noticed the monitor went black and it rebooted. Thought nothing of it, but it kept doin it. Started keeping track of maybe a pattern, but no, completely random. I thought it might be my SSD, so swapped out to my HDD and its still doin the same thing.

Recently, I was able to keep it stable by returning the BIOS to default settings, but anytime i try to tweak anything at all, i the random crashes start happening.

Any suggestions, O' mighty PC gods?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

O' mighty PC gods

Wowser! I just got a promotion! :hysterical:

Right now is the easiest time to find this problem. Possibilities in order of liklihood:

>memory

>hard drive

>video card, especially if you have loaded the drivers

>faulty power supply (when under load)

>motherboard.

I know you probably know some of this, but here's more info (my canned fix):

*Download Memtest 86+ , the "precompiled Bootable ISO (zip)" file (free) from my link; burn it to a CD. Be sure your BIOS is set to CD=1st boot device, Hard Drive=2nd boot device; reboot with the CD in your DVD drive. You will see the screen appear and the testing will automatically start. When it has completed all the tests, the message "press key to exit" will appear. Any errors found will be listed, even one error means that stick of memory is bad. I suggest testing each stick separately if you have more than one installed. 

*Download Seatools For DOS (free) from my link; in the site screen, click "DOWNLOADS" tab, then "Seatools For DOS". Burn it to a CD. Reboot with it in your drive. In the screen that appears, first check that SMART has (or has not) been tripped. Then click the upper left corner of the screen for the short test and let it run. It will notify you either Pass or Fail. This is from Seagate Corp. but will test all other drives, not just Seagate.

*Power supply: if everything else checks out, the only realistic way to test a power supply is to either swap with one you know for sure is good, or use a tester like This. I have two different brands (for comparison verification on readings) and they have saved me hours of work and aggravation.

For additional suggestions and testing in more depth, I have a pinned post Here.

The only way to verify a motherboard is to remove all other possibilities by testing; when there is nothing else to test, the mobo only is left. Since you have a factory new board from Asus (great brand!) I don't think the problem is bad caps.

Interesting that your problems started when loading the mobo drivers; possible load on the power supply or memory may be causing this. There is also the (remote) possibility of buggy drivers. Are you using the CD that came with the board, or did you download the drivers off a website?

*Try rebooting into Safe Mode; if it boots clean into safe mode, you probably have driver conflicts or buggy drivers trying to load.

*Remove all drivers or anything else installed, reset the BIOS to factory default, and start testing as outlined above. When testing is completed, try reinstalling the drivers 1X1 if the CD will let you do that. Reboot after each is installed. If it crashes again, you got a better idea of which driver is causing this.

Edited by ranchhand1, 22 July 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#3 mrangel

mrangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

First off, thank you for the quick and thorough reply.

I've spent all day today running the memtest 86+, (5 hours on each stick) Memory has been eliminated from the issue.

I'll have to get me a PSU tester to rule that out.

I really doubt that its the drives, because the resets happened whether i booted into win 7, on my SSD or my HDD.  Which leads us to buggy drivers.  I guess my next step is to uninstall mobo drivers and reinstall.  Originally I had installed from the CD that came with my mobo, is it better to get the drivers from the Asus website?  Assuming that they are not betas, of course.

**Edit**

And do you think it would still be drivers if the resets/crashes happen randomly? Not just at start up?  As a matter of fact, as soon as i posted before this edit, my computer reset.  Grrr!

Edited by mrangel, 23 July 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#4 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:30 AM

I really doubt that its the drives

Well, you could be right on that; however, the reason you gave is exactly what a drive that is failing will do. You did not detail how you set your OS up, but if you installed the boot files on the SSD, then it is involved in Windows as well as your main HDD for normal operations, installing, data, etc. Running the Seagate utility will take only about 10-15 minutes for the short test and is well worth it. By the way, I don't know if Seatools will check SSD drives or not, Seagate does not say that it won't (that I can see) so at this point I am not certain. Unplug the SSD and run Seatools on the HDD, then unplug the HDD and run it on the SSD. As I say, it only takes a few minutes.

>Memtest: you only have to run the utility through the check procedure one time, usually about 20" to half hour. At the bottom it will say words to the effect, "check complete, press escape to exit" or something like that. Running it multiple times is not necessary.

>If you have a separate video card, and if your board has integrated video (most do now), remove the video card, delete the video card drivers if you installed them and try to boot with integrated video only. That will check if the video card & drivers is crashing your system, this is a very common problem so be sure to check it out. This is covered in the tutorial that I linked you to.

Did you try booting into Safe Mode, and if so, what was the result?

And do you think it would still be drivers if the resets/crashes happen randomly?

[EDIT]:  Sorry, I see that I didn't answer your question. Yes, definitely. When there are driver conflicts all rules are off; if you are lucky the computer crashes immediately so it's easier to trace. Many times it is random and that is harder to pinpoint.

>Is the unit still running stable on default BIOS settings? Does it crash all the time, or only when you tweak the BIOS?

>Recheck what BIOS settings you are attempting to change and if your memory supports those settings.

>Did you try to boot to safe mode, and what happened?

>Definitely do the video card test before anything else, and please post the result.

>One last question: what is the retailer's return policy on motherboards?  If we cannot resolve this with normal testing, it might be best ot return/exchange the board before the return time limit expires. I have checked around and this board is getting excellent reviews, so if the components you are using are proper for this board you shouldn't be having these problems. This board is highly oveclockable and the BIOS/CMOS has the reputation of being very stable.

Edited by ranchhand1, 23 July 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#5 mrangel

mrangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

Ok, new update.

First, to answer your questions...

>Is the unit still running stable on default BIOS settings? Does it crash all the time, or only when you tweak the BIOS?

For the most part yes, but its when i make ANY changes to increase performance is when it seems to start acting funny.  Whats weird is when I reset to "optimized settings" its still unstable for a while.  but seems to stablize the next day.  I think i have Gremlins in my machine, HA! 

>Recheck what BIOS settings you are attempting to change and if your memory supports those settings.

Will do.  but how do i find out what what my memory can support? Manufactures website? I even updated the BIOS to the latest release. 

>Did you try to boot to safe mode, and what happened?

Yes, and it did seem to be more stable.  but its very limited to what you can do in safe mode.

>Definitely do the video card test before anything else, and please post the result.

I cant remove the video card because the Asus M5A99FX doesnt have on-board graphics.  But i did uninstall the card from the hardware manager, deleted any Nvidia software, rebooted and reinstalled the drivers and Phys X drivers only (no extra sofware or BS the cards usually come with.)

Now to get you up to speed on what ive done:

Like i mentioned before I reinstalled video card drivers, I ran Prime 95 (in place large FFTs test) for 6 hours and it performed without a hitch.  Right after, I ran 3D Mark and it made it through, like a champ. 

Im REALLY starting to suspect its my PSU.  Take a look at my min voltages.  I have had this running since last night, but i did put it to sleep, i dont know if that affects the levels.  I'll clear it and leave it running all day to see if I can duplicate those voltages.

I'll attach some images of CPUID: (well i couldnt get it to show, so heres a link) LOL

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99360117@N06/9357794527/

If I havent said it already, THANK YOU for your guidence and advice.  This has DEF been a learning experience! LOL

#6 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

Well, I am not sure how accurate CPUid is for power cable & rail testing, so we have no way of judging them. Your memory specs for your mobo: DDR3 2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066. Since you are running 1600 you should be fine.

It sounds like your problems are not with the mobo working, but start when attempting to overclock the board, if I am correct. I was under the impression that your board was crashing-out randomly when you tried to tweak any settings or install anything at all, per your comment in your first post:

As I was installing mobo drivers i noticed the monitor went black and it rebooted. Thought nothing of it, but it kept doin it. Started keeping track of maybe a pattern, but no, completely random. I thought it might be my SSD, so swapped out to my HDD and its still doin the same thing. Recently, I was able to keep it stable by returning the BIOS to default settings, but anytime i try to tweak anything at all, i the random crashes start happening.

I have done light overclocking successfully, but never gone heavy duty like some do, so that is beyond my experience. Sorry, I don't assume to give advice where I have limited experience. That being said, the user reviews that I have been reading indicate that the board is very stable when overclocked, so if my assumptions are accurate, it falls to two possibilities; you are doing something wrong in setting the overclock parameters, or you have a faulty board. And remember, the video card and power supply have not been tested.

As I mentioned above, do not let your retailer's return policy lapse with this problem unresolved!  Some here may disagree, but I am pretty steeley-eyed when dealing with these manufacturers. Better to return the board as faulty than run the risk of passing the return date and being stuck with a faulty board. Trust me, in this I do have experience! It's a lot easier to return the board to a retailer for an exchange than trying to deal with a manufacture's "customer service" dept. Asus is pretty good, but they are going to try to find any reason they can not to exchange the board. This is why I deal almost exclusively with Newegg, mainly because of their stellar service dept. which has never disappointed me in 15 years of regular purchases. I have 30 days with Newegg, BUT.... I make sure that, if I cannot find a problem with a piece of equipment before 20 days lapse, I return it.

Edited by ranchhand1, 24 July 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:25 PM

Board Specs

RAM

I'd try a different PSU....just because I have extras lying around and...if there is a "weak link" it would be the PSU (only due to possible age).

Louis

#8 mrangel

mrangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

Thx Louis,

I think thats gonna have to be my next step, because I have done everything i know possible.

I even spoke to the good people at Asus and they suggested I take the mobo back before the return period expired.  I did that, installed and its still doin the same thing.  I even went as far as wiping my SSD using the magician software, and doin a fresh install of windows.  No change.

I guess I'll be shoppin for a new PSU, tomorrow.  :ranting:

#9 mrangel

mrangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

Well, Louis....looks like you hit the nail right on the head.

I purchased a Tier 2, Corsair HX750 and so far its been completely stable.

I even switched to "performance mode" in the BIOS, and its still running smooth, which i was never able to do before.

Thanks for all the help guys! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users