Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new install of Microsoft XP Home , but laptop is even slower before i redid it

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 225

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Just redid my Latitude 131L Laptop with a fresh install of windows xp home edition and now it seems to be slower then it was before i reformatted it, i see some errors in the Event viewer such as 

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the SENS service.

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the JavaQuickStarterService service.

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the wuauserv service.

and a few others.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

After installing the OS did you install all appropriate drivers? Look in device manager - any yellow or red symbols?

#3 225

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

yeah i beleive all are up to date no red or yellow symbols

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,674 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

OK. Please define "slower". Exactly what seems to be the problem. And why did you reinstall?

#5 225

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

when i say slower, I mean when i click to open up a web browser i takes a min it for it to open up and also when i try to scroll down to read the web page im on it takes a min for it to scroll or when im typing something like right now its taking it a few to catch up as im typing, internet explorer kept freezing up on me so i installed google chrome,chrome is better but its still messing up and im getting a error box poping up on me from time to time, something just isnt right, im not sure if it's a driver conflict or what. thanks in advance for your help !!!!

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,674 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

Based on your response the problem is limited to your browser, is that correct? And you didn't answer my question about why you did the reinstall in the first place.

#7 225

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

I redid the laptop because I haven't done it in like 3 years and the kids had all kinds of games and stuff downloaded on it and also because I seen that windows XP will not be supported anymore coming up in early 2014. As far as the lagging is concerned it's not limited to just the browser, basically every application I open . like if I click to open the control panel it takes like a minute to open. It is a Dell Latitude 131L with 2 gigabyte of memory, I ran the dell Full System Diagnostic application and everything came back as passed.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,674 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Well, I'm currently responding to your post using an 8 year old Dell with XP that has NEVER been reformatted. I'm not a fan of reformatting for the sake of reformatting. And I'm not sure what the fact that support will end next year has to do with anything, but okay.

I suggest you run full system scans with both your installed AV and with MalwareBytes. Let's make sure you didn't pick up a bug somewhere along the way.

#9 225

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

Ok I ran

Microsoft Security Essentials and did a full scan and no problems were found. I also ran MalwareBytes , full scan also with no problems found..

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,674 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

Okay, let's keep going. Let's try a selective startup to see if anything loading with Windows is causing a slowdown.

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users