Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp SP3 PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 steve747

steve747

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

Hello. For quite some time now my computer will only boot to windows from the XP CD. It won't do it from the HDD. Maybe something is wrong in the boot sector. I tried the cmd prompt then typed cdi386 but the message i got was cdi386 not recognised as an internal or external command. Any suggestions.....Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

You might start by running chkdsk.exe, (Microsoft Check Disk), and if that doesn't find any errors you could try running "TESTHDD" which is a good freeware HDD checking program, though it does NOT check software, - strictly checks for damaged sectors on the HDD.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

A utility that only concerns itself with damaged sectors...can possibly lead to loss of data on those sectors as it concerns itself with hard drive problems.

You may want to either back up valued data or try running the chkdsk /r command...the chkdsk /r command attempts to reclaim data files whcih may lie on damaged hard drive sectors (among other things).

Louis

#4 steve747

steve747
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Hello. Thanks for the replies, however they didn't seem to work. I went to the bios and changed the boot order to First HDD and second to CD ROM, then hit restart. I got in the start up screen at the bottom "disk read error occurred, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart. So had to change the boot order again back to CD ROM as the first boot device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users