Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (NETIO.SYS) on Win 8.1

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 akshatm

akshatm

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

I am running Win 8.1 on a recent laptop and keep running into BSOD due to DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (NETIO.SYS). I have noticed it only happens when I open a torrent service. I tried uTorrent and BitTorrent and both have the same issue. After researching online I understand it is due to network threshold. While this happens when I am downloading, the torrent services are not necessarily to blame. I ran malware bytes as suggested on some forums but didn't find any issues. I am not sure what other scans are required to diagnose the issue. Can someone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hi

First of all, Windows 8.1 is in beta stage and may contain bugs and may not be stable. It is not suitable for day to day work.

Secondly, if you installed a firewall program uninstall it. For example, standalone firewalls like Zone Alarm, Comodo etc and Internet security suits like Norton , Kaspersky or McAfee.  Especially McAffee is known to have issues with torrent programs. 

Also make sure to install the latest network drivers and check whether there are any Windows update available.

#3 akshatm

akshatm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

I updated wifi drivers but still have the issue. I do not have any anti-virus or firewall programs installed on my computer. 

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hi

Please follow the below steps.

:step1:  Post the full spec or model number of your Laptop\PC

:step2:  Disable UAC and restart the system.

Open C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Copy and  zip the entire contents of that folder and upload to any free file hosting site of your choice. 

Example file hosting sites :

Post the download link to the dumps in next reply.

:step3:  Generate a report about your system using Speccy by reading the guide below. Make sure to run the Speccy after running the system about one or more hour. This will give us an indication of current CPU -GPU temperature status.

Post the web link displayed by Speccy in next reply.

:step4:  Download and run Minitoolbox from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Run the tool and only select the following tick boxes.

-List last 10 Event viewer errors
    -List installed programs
    -List devices
    -List users, partition and memory size

Now click "Go" and post the output in next reply  (or upload the result.txt with dump files)

#5 akshatm

akshatm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

Specs via Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/BMkeZByWhM06gM0WhgUmHDO

UAC Disabled.

Minidump link: https://app.box.com/s/z4883ehdm8h4ygfi7hx9

MiniToolBox: https://app.box.com/s/pm3r9azbdphcuny355o8

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hi

I just completed analysing the crash dumps you posted and to my surprise there are McAffee drivers active in your system.

mfehidk.sys                 Tue Jan 15 23:51:15 2013 (50F59E1B)
McAfee Host Intrusion Detection Link Driver

mfeavfk.sys                 Tue Jan 15 23:52:16 2013 (50F59E58)
McAfee Anti-Virus File System Filter Driver

You had McAfee installed in your system and it's kernel mode drivers are still active in the system. I guess it was pre-installed when you buy your Dell Inspiron 5323.  As i said in my previous post, McAfee has a bad history with torrents. Please remove it's remnants by following the below instructions.

:step1: Download McAfee Product Removal tool from the below link.

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

:step2: Run the tool and follow the on screen instructions. When prompted, type the Captcha information, which is case sensitive, to validate to application security, and then click Next.

:step3: When you see the message CleanUp Successful, restart your computer. If you see the message Unsuccessful , let me know.

After the cleanup finishes check how your torrent downloading works. If the issue remains, upload the new crash dumps for analysis. I hope you won't see any more of that.

Let me know your findings in next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 22 July 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#7 akshatm

akshatm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:49 AM

I removed McAfee and now I don''t see the BSOD errors. Thanks a lot for your help.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:49 AM

Glad to be able to help  :thumbup2:

#9 djbillyd

djbillyd

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

I am getting this same message, but I can't even get started. I am testing the "pre-release" of 8.1, but here's the thing: I can take the drive and put it in another laptop, and it boots. This same drive I tried installing 8.1 on it the other day and couldn't. Put the drive in the other laptop, and it installed. So, now, what?

#10 LittleTart

LittleTart

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

moved to its own thread thanks!

Edited by LittleTart, 19 October 2013 - 01:10 AM.

#11 Desertblazer

Desertblazer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

BSOD after BSOD after BSOD running BitTorrent on win 8.1 I finally found the solution. Been running now about an hour with no interruptions. Didn't last so much as 5 minutes before. I don't know if ALL the steps I did are necessary but this is what I did

Options - preferences - Advanced - Disk Cache - UNCHECK enable caching of disk writes, and UNCHECK enable caching of disk reads. The only thing checked on this screen is "Reduce memory usage when the cache is not needed"

current torrents and new torrents added still working perfectly...

#12 Stefano Caltabiano

Stefano Caltabiano

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

Hello everyone. Installed Avira Antivir Free Edition. While downloading with U-Torrent this message always comes out. I changed already antivirus from McAfee to Antivir. Can anyone help me, please?

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:29 AM

Hi Stefano

McAfee is infamous for leaving it's drivers installed on the system even if we uninstalled it through "Control Panel". Please download and run MCPR from the below link to properly remove McAfee first.

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

If the issue continues, please open a new topic with latest crash dump files attached.

#14 Stefano Caltabiano

Stefano Caltabiano

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

Thanx-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users