Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Anti-Virus, Malware, & Spyware programs?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wingedliond

Wingedliond

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

Hi Guys, I just got a new laptop and had a simple question. I am new to windows 8 and want to know if anyone has any good good Anti-Virus, Malware, & Spyware programs for windows 8 that are easy to use for novice/intermediate user (mostly novice on window 8)? Laptop came preloaded with Norton Internet Security but I was wondering if there was anything better for window 8?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

Malwarebytes

SuperAntiSpyware

There are a number of free antivirus programs, I like Avast, others like AVG, and there's Microsoft Security Essentials.

I would suggest staying away from registry cleaners and other enhancement programs, they are overrated for what they actually will do and can actually be damaging when used improperly.  The usual tools like Disk Defragmenter, Disk Cleanup used on a regular basis will help keep the system running smooth.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Wingedliond

Wingedliond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

Cool!! Thanks for the advice :clapping:

#4 swamiriver

swamiriver

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

I'm very happy with the free Malwarebytes and bought Pro and its added protections for a one-time fee of US$25.

#5 bradhouser

bradhouser

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials is built in to Windows 8 as Windows Defender, and it is enabled by default. It is disabled if you install another AV product.  You can change its scheduled scans with Task Scheduler.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 jamesedwards399

jamesedwards399

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:07 AM

Following are some of the best recommended computer security software:

Free antivirus software:-

Avast

Immunet

Avg

Free Spyware Removal Tools:-

Super antispyware

Ad-Aware

Free Anti-Malware Software

MalwareByte

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,946 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Ad-Aware (or Spybot) due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products).

Ad-Aware...have gone into a downhill spiral over the past five years and recently sold the company to Solaria... Majorgeeks stopped listing Ad-Aware as a pick some years ago as we watched the quality of the company slip over the years...it cant stand up to the new generation of anti-spyware applications...

What does the future hold for Ad-Aware?
Lavasoft Controversies

Ad-Aware has even been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling and pre-checking Google Chrome during the installation. Also read Lavasoft Turning to the Dark Side? written by a former volunteer (now a MVP) who provided support for Ad-Aware but no longer uses the program.

As for Spybot S&D, most people don't understand how to use TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

#9 Founder

Founder

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

Wingedliond,

Windows 8 has a built in Anti-Virus (Windows Defender --a.k.a. Windows Security Essentials.)

If you need additional protection against malware/adware, MalwareBytes Pro (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) is your best bet.

Edited by Founder, 29 July 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,946 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

Yes, Windows 8 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Windows Defender in Windows 8 provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on previous operation systems. Since the new Windows Defender is integrated you cannot use MSE with Windows 8...in fact MSE is blocked from installation.

If you want to use another anti-virus you must disable Windows 8 Defender before installing a different antivirus software.

#11 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Ad-Aware (or Spybot) due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products).

Ad-Aware...have gone into a downhill spiral over the past five years and recently sold the company to Solaria... Majorgeeks stopped listing Ad-Aware as a pick some years ago as we watched the quality of the company slip over the years...it cant stand up to the new generation of anti-spyware applications...

Lavasoft Controversies

Ad-Aware has even been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling and pre-checking Google Chrome during the installation. Also read Lavasoft Turning to the Dark Side? written by a former volunteer (now a MVP) who provided support for Ad-Aware but no longer uses the program.

As for Spybot S&D, most people don't understand how to use TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

Lavasoft Controversies

The company that currently owns AdAware has a questionable history. More to the point, I think it's been a long time since AdAware has performed well in any evaluation; as already mentioned.  Spybot was a long time favorite of mine, but it's also fallen on hard times, and it hasn't been top tier in several years. I've never liked TeaTimer (for most of the same reasons I don't like 3rd party firewalls) but even the basic IE plugin seems to have become a culprit in some browser performance issues I'v encountered recently. So, I've been removing it from any system where I'd installed it. I wish I could say that the new version has made me a believer once again, but it hasn't.

Likewise, it's been quite a while since SuperAntiSpyware has impressed me. MBAM Pro is definitely worth the price, just for the web site blocking alone, but it has other great features as well. Needless to say, run it with good AV software.

Edited by slgrieb, 31 July 2013 - 10:46 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users