Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

15k or 20k SATA HDs / SAS to SATA converters?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SPL Tech

SPL Tech

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

Two questions. Does anyone make a 15k or 20k HD with a SATA interface for standard ATX mobos?

2: Will a SAS to SATA converter cable, such as the one linked below, allow me to use an SAS enterprise HD in a standard SATA desktop?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/sas-to-sata-adapter

CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400 OC'ed to 3.0 GHz. / 380 FSB RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2
GPU: X1900XT 512MB Connect3D Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II HD: (2) 320 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB. 7,200 RPM SATA II
OD: 52X DVD±RW Monitors: (2) Hanns-G JW199D 19" 16:10 widescreen DVI in extended desktop mode

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

As far as I know, the WD Velociraptor at 10K rpm is the highest rotational speed you can get in a SATA drive. But, there isn't any reason I'm aware of why you couldn't use a SAS drive with any of the adapters you've linked to. All the same, I'm curious about what prompted the thread, if you don't mind sharing.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#3 SPL Tech

SPL Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:32 AM

As far as I know, the WD Velociraptor at 10K rpm is the highest rotational speed you can get in a SATA drive. But, there isn't any reason I'm aware of why you couldn't use a SAS drive with any of the adapters you've linked to. All the same, I'm curious about what prompted the thread, if you don't mind sharing.

More speed of course. I own the Velociraptor and it is fast, but not as fast as a 15k drive. I have read that the motherboard has to be able to communicate with an SAS host in order to use a SAS hard drive and thus simply swapping the connections wont work. Any info on that?

CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400 OC'ed to 3.0 GHz. / 380 FSB RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II HD: (2) 320 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB. 7,200 RPM SATA II
OD: 52X DVD±RW Monitors: (2) Hanns-G JW199D 19" 16:10 widescreen DVI in extended desktop mode

#4 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:38 AM

More speed of course. I own the Velociraptor and it is fast, but not as fast as a 15k drive. I have read that the motherboard has to be able to communicate with an SAS host in order to use a SAS hard drive and thus simply swapping the connections wont work. Any info on that?

Sorry, this isn't something I've tried to do. A couple of years ago when I wanted more drive performance I moved to a SSD as my primary drive and a 1 TB WD Black as my data drive, which also has some of my less frequently used software installed there. I've also done some builds with similar drive specs, and I've been very happy with the results.

Over the years I've done  RAID 0 arrays with Raptors and Cheetahs, and reliability issues aside, the performance doesn't even come close to SSD performance. So, have you considered any SSDs at all? Especially if you run Win7 or 8, a solid state drive/HDD combo really kicks ass.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#5 SPL Tech

SPL Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:10 AM

I have considered SSDs and I am not against them, I was just curious if it is possible to run a 15k drive in a desktop. How is running Windows 7 or 8 more advantage to a different OS, as is related to SSD performance?

Edited by SPL Tech, 22 July 2013 - 02:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users