Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Send existing internet connection to laptop and from laptop to router.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ayuro123

ayuro123

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:50 AM

Hi. Can someone plese help me with this. I would like to take and existing web connection thats on a laptop and send it to a new Netgear wireless modem providing an internet connection for devices out of the wifi modem. My original connection is from a DSL modem and is connected via wifi to my laptop. Here is what i tried so far: The router i want to use now is connected to my laptop via Ethernet cable and goes into the Wan port of the router. First i simply turned on sharing on my existing wifi connection and the internet icon on the router is green but when i go to status of the router it says no web connection and devices such as an ipod don't receive any internet. Next i tried to bridge the connection but that did not work either even though my laptop showed that they were bridged. 

Please help as i have spent 8 hours on this already.

Thanks in advance

Moderator edit: Moved from Introductions to a more appropriate forum

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 22 July 2013 - 07:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

So to clarify, what you're trying to do is to get internet connection on other devices besides your laptop using your wireless router?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 ayuro123

ayuro123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

Thanks for that. Let me clarify a bit. I have a DSL Modem from the phone company giving 
me internet and im connected to that wirelessly with my notebook. I now have my laptops Ethernet port connected to a simple Netgear wifi router that i would like to feed internet into. There are 4 Lan ports on the router and i need to plug some internet phones into it. I am using an ipod touch to detect whether or not there is internet coming in or not. So far the bridge method dosnt work. Nor does the share method. An issue i keep having is that when i do an 'ipconfig' the secong router has no default gateway address. Unless i reset the the router. But as soon as i try to bridge or share, the default gateway gets nocked off again.i am doing this because i dont have direct physical access to the DSL modem but i can change settings.

Hope this was a drop clearer.
Thanks

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

From my experience the netgear router needs to be hooked up to your dsl modem, and then your laptop to the netgear router. From there you can hook up your phones and etc to the 3 ports that would be left available since you'll be using 1 port for your laptop unless you hook up wirelessly which then would provide all 4 ports. Also a router and modem are 2 different things. When you refer to 2nd router I keep wanting to think there's another router that you're not mentioning, but I'm guessing that you mean the dsl modem? Or do you mean that your dsl modem has a wireless router built-in which allows you to have wireless functionality as well and that's what you mean when you say 2nd router?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users