Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

a whole heap of problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dmtmind

dmtmind

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 and i think the MOBO  might be on the way out

i need to reinstall windows because it had gotten slow but it also had weak memory 256 

I Replaced the 256 memory for 2GB memory and that speeded up things a bit but i still want to format the machine ( also bought a new HD)

the things iv done are

1. Stuck NEW HD into machine it failed saying installation failed d:\i386\asms error message data error cyclic redundancy check.. so then i rebooted and its now looking for the Windows Cd in the installation set-up (i stuck 2 different Cds in and no luck) 

i googled that error and its saying the Cd rom could be faulty or the memory could be faulty. it would make sense if the Cd rom was faulty because of Number 2 below. 

2. I take NEW HD out and i put OLD hd back in but then the CD rom doesn't read ANY of the burnt XP cd's  but it does read a Product Cd for some software. 

Actually come to think of it. i think its the cd rom im going to buy a new Cd rom drive

Edited by hamluis, 21 July 2013 - 10:14 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

Keep us posted :thumbup2:

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E