Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Adapter Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Soze

Soze

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:16 AM

4 days ago my wireless connection, running on my home router, abruptly quit working.

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 9300, and the wireless adapter is an inttel proset wireless 2915.

When I click on the intel wireless program, I get a message stating "no supported wireless adapters available in the system".

I have tried several restore points, and nothing has worked.

I have attempted to reinstall drivers from Dell etc to no avail.

Funny thing, the day after I lost wireless at home, when I started my computer at work the icon stating that they were no wireless networks in range showed up, which suggested to me that it was working again.
But when I went home (where I have a wireless router) - nothing. I figured I needed to reinstall my router software, reset, etc.
I did so but nothing.
The following day, it no longer shows it is trying to connect even at work.

I had been running the zone alarm personal firewall, but removed it after this problem.
I also removed spybot.

Very confusing and frustrating.
Any ideas?

Edited by Soze, 19 April 2006 - 10:17 AM.

It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:43 AM

I would not remove the firewall. You can easily see if the firewall is blocking the connection by looking in the log it creates (and it should alert you giving you the chance to enable the connection if it was being blocked anyway).

In any case - look in network connections in your control panel - see if you see the connection for the wireless card there.
If not, click wireless connection wizard in the control panel and see if that installs the wireless connection.

Lastly, look in your device manager and see if there are any yellow or red warning icons on any device. If there are, double click the device and use the troubleshooter that opens.

#3 Soze

Soze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:00 PM

I can't find the wireless adapter in device manager.
It shows 2 other adapters (1394 Net adapter and Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller), but not the intel wireless.
It's as though it has been removed (which of course it hasn't).
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

#4 Soze

Soze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:01 AM

I just wanted to give an update for those who may have a similar problem.
It turns out the network card needed to be reseated, in other words removed then immediately put back.
I'm not sure why, as it appeared there were no loose connections, but this solved the problem.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

#5 Catterpillar

Catterpillar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

My computer's having the same problem. ie "no supported wireless adaptor available" when we know it IS there. With Fujitsu tech support walking me through, I tried reinstalling the hardware, reinstalling the driver, doing a system reset to an earlier time, etc etc. Nothing worked. They think I might have a faulty card but that doesn't seem right since it worked fine before.

Someone told me that there's a SoftPaq patch I can download to fix it. Haven't checked that out yet. I don't like the idea of adding patches if none are needed.

So how did you go about reseating your network card. Do you have a laptop or desktop? Mines a Fujitsu laptop and it will be pretty scary to open it up.

This is my first post. I sure hope I'm not breaking any etiquette rules by jumping in like this.

#6 Soze

Soze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:44 AM

Cat,
Mine is a Dell laptop.
Actually, reseating was simple. Just a matter of opening the correct panel with a screwdriver, detaching the two wires from the card, sliding the card out then back in. Reattach wires - voila!
I would reccomend going through tech support though, as they can direct you to the correct panel and card.
This is obvious, but make sure you unplug your computer and remove the battery before doing anything.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:01 AM

Even though a card worked, they do fail. I've had Linksys cards or routers fail within one year. The wireless router would work through the wired ports but the RF had gone dead.

#8 El Gustardo

El Gustardo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:13 PM

I found this website today, looking for a solution to this exact issue. My problem was that I tried installing a network bridge, and that is when my trouble started.

I went to the Intel website, and found my fix there. I just had to go into the properties of the wireless network connection (at the Network Connections window), and in the General tab, I re-checked both of these items:

AEGIS Protocol (IEEE 802.1x)
WLAN Transport.

Apparently, when a network bridge is installed, it unchecks one or both of these, which can cause the problem that we had, and can give you that error message.

http://intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-015986.htm

#9 pintocd

pintocd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:42 PM

In case anyone new comes across this page, just wanted to say it answered my question. I went to my laptop manufacturer's support page and learned how to remove and re-install my wireless adapter. Worked like a charm.

(the last commenter didn't seem to understand the problem was that the computer does not recognize the wireless adapter AT ALL--not just a matter of being able to connect.)

#10 elgustardo

elgustardo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

In case anyone new comes across this page, just wanted to say it answered my question. I went to my laptop manufacturer's support page and learned how to remove and re-install my wireless adapter. Worked like a charm.

(the last commenter didn't seem to understand the problem was that the computer does not recognize the wireless adapter AT ALL--not just a matter of being able to connect.)

I understood the post just fine. The poster received an error stating "no supported wireless adapters available in the system," and asked for ideas.

The fact that the NIC needed to be re-seated was their (admittedly the most likely) solution to the error, but I posted my very obscure, yet still relevant solution to fixing the same error as well, so that future readers looking for help can try different things without reading post after post of the same answer that just does not work.

Anybody in the future reading this article, looking for a solution to "no supported wireless adapters available in the system" now has two solutions found in one place. You are all very welcome.

I've spent enough time defending my post. I have some PC's to repair, and countless posts to read for a solution I can't seem to find yet. If only people would just post multiple solutions to the same error, it would save me a lot of time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users