Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restarting Without Warning

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Swanheart

Swanheart

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:08 AM

I'm posting for a friend who is having computer problems. I hope this isn't a problem. :thumbsup: (Tried to get her to sign up for an account, but no luck.) I'm not sure if these are symptoms of some kind of infection, or just a problem with her system. She's run her anti-virus program and scans for spyware, but these don't detect anything.

She's using Win XP on a regular PC, and she's had a series of recurring problems. It often just restarts itself without warning, like the power went out or something. When it restarts, she gets a blue screen that says to check on of her disks. It goes away and then goes to the windows logo. Sometimes once her desktop is up, there is a dialogue box that says something about privileged instructions, with the option to click OK.

I'm not sure what all the blue screen says exactly, as she has a vision problem, and her JAWS program doesn't read it.

Also when she's in Explorer, she gets another dialogue saying that the information she was working on may be lost, and has to close out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:18 AM

Hello and welcome to BC.

We need the error off of the blue screen and JAWS might not and does not read error messages to well.

I would also suggest to run a program called HiJackThis and send in a log to our forum aas listed below:

Download Hijack This from Merjin
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Go to the following to post your log file and it will be analyzed by a qualified tech

HijackThis Logs and Analysis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

It might take a while to get an answer from our techs because of all of the logs they have to go thru but you will get a log answer that will be very accurate

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:19 AM

The cutting off sounds like a heat or power supply problem.

#4 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:06 PM

We'll try to get a log posted as soon as possible. Thanks!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:07 AM

She might be able to locate the BSOD error in her Event Viewer. Here's a how-to: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:57 AM

Thanks. I'll send this info along to her.

We would have gotten started on a HijackThis log sooner, but I just had a car accident and I'm getting behind in everything. :thumbsup:

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:12 PM

See if you can determine if the fans are running and the grills for them are not obstructed by dust, etc.

#8 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:14 PM

When she tried to unzip Hijack this, it said that it read "1 file unzipped unsuccessfully." She tried clicking the "unzip" button but that didn't work.

I can't figure out what went wrong there. I'm not sure if I should post this question here or move it to another forum.

Okay, nevermind. I think we got it working, and I'm going to post the log.

Edited by Swanheart, 25 April 2006 - 02:20 PM.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:26 PM

The problem has to be heat related, the power supply or based on what you originally said - a hard disk that is failing.

The blue screen would have an error message on it that might help diagnose the cause of the problem, but being that there is a significant possibility that this is a thermal shutdown she should take the computer to a skilled technician because overheating of the processor can and does cause it to be destroyed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users