Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toms Hardware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

I just thought I would throw this out there - I'm sure it's been posted before, but I wanted to share a link to this site, Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/

Every two years around tax return time, I either upgrade or build a new computer.  Before I buy any CPU, motherboard, or video card, I go to this site.  Not only do they have reviews of just about any computer part you could think of (in said categories, and others), but they have these awesome articles wherein they break a product down against its competitor, by price point.

So for instance, you can find a comparison of Radeon vs. GeForce video cards, for under $100.00, $100.00 - $150.00, etc.  They benchmark the products on games that really put the cards through the paces, and let you know the results. 

Personally I'm a dedicated Nvidia fan for my graphics card, but I did find myself buy an AMD Radeon card last year because for the price range I was looking for (at the time) Nvidia just didn't have anything that could touch was AMD had available. 

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

Thanks for sharing this info.

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

Yes, Toms is a great place to start. I like bjorn3d myself.

The Nvidia promotion is supposedly breaking the performance barrier nowadays for the budget minded, i think the 660 ti is about as good as it gets for the money. it all comes down to budget, performance and watt usage. i think the radeon 5970 is the record holder for watts used at 300w.

I like the gaming 7870 myself for under $100 USD, i think there are variations of it that is something like q-cool or ice-cool or something. it is massive though, and will need lots of space.

My home machine runs the hd 5550, nice card that stays cool and quiet and sips on the watts.

the card that i recommend to the mid-range gaming enthusiast is the asus radeon hd 6670. decent horsepower, stays nice and cool (40C) with decent frames/per/second (FPS) and around $80 USD

But at the same time, different games tax the gpu's differently,. it is all there for the reading in the benchmarks.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users