Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please, help. Swimming cursor.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Zerk

Zerk

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

Hello.

Just a week ago I got this refurbished  in excellent condition  - Lenovo ThinkPad T410 laptop,

with new installed Windows 7 Professional and Lenovo Drivers. 

The cursor often swims down the screen, and sometimes on the point of the cursor appears for a moment  like a button with two small triangles, or on the left side of the point of the cursor appears a kind of grey-black circle. Sometimes it's difficult to use the cursor. I scanned PC for viruses - no viruses was detected.  Anybody have an idea, what is going on? 

Please, give the advise, I really appreciate. Thank you. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

Hello Zerk -

I think it seems your Mouse is Faulty, as this is what happens when you press the Center Scroll Wheel. Or you are just pressing the Scroll Wheel a bit too heavy as you scroll on a page -

The Page is what will move if you then touch the mouse in any way -

I can reproduce this in seconds by Pressing the Center wheel and it leaves a Round Circle with the 2 arrows.

On a laptop it may be that you are touching the 2 Click bars as you hit the Middle scroll pad. With most mouses it shows the 2 "triangle" arrows at the top and bottom of the circle. Do you ever use a mouse on the laptop ?

Is this sounding like your problem ??

EDIT - I just put a Screen shot under this post for you to compare -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 21 July 2013 - 05:47 AM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

[attachment=140053:Mouse.JPG]

Please see this picture of me holding the Scroll Wheel down.

Is this what you see ??

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

The cursor often swims down the screen

If you are using the laptop's touchpad it is possible you could be accidentally making the cursor scroll just by moving your hands around while you are typing or looking at something. Your thumbs are not postioned on any keys and could be making contact with the touchpad and as you move them could be touching it just enough to move the cursor.

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

One last possibility for a 'wild' cursor. If it is an optical one [red light on the bottom] be sure that area is clean and lint free. When my cursor starts to wander on its own that's been the problem in the past. It takes only a bit of a draft to move the lint and the mouse is sensitive enough to react to that movement.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

I think the problem lies in this phrase that is produced in the screen shot I posted above -

""sometimes on the point of the cursor appears for a moment  like a button with two small triangles""

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

If you are using the mouse on a shiny surface it makes it trip out like you described also. It would also make it difficult to use.

The button appearing icon thingy with 2 triangles that appears near the pointer is an eggtimer, telling you to wait just a moment.

EDIT: I just saw Noknojons' post: the two triangles could well be from holding down the mouse wheel like that too... good call.

Edited by TsVk!, 21 July 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#8 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

If you're not accidently touching both of the mouse buttons on the laptop's touchpad, and you're not using any additional mouse, then likely you have a faulty touchpad/button assembly. Test this by adding a USB mouse and disabling the touchpad in the BIOS.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#9 Zerk

Zerk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

attachicon.gifMouse.JPG
Is this what you see ??

Thanks, noknojon, for your quick respond.
I used before an older Thinkpad laptop for a few years, and never had a such problem.

The triangles are not in the circle, but in a long square, and they are much smaller. The circle appears separately - it is gray, and inside there is a few black lines, kind of round lines. 

When I saw that the cursor is swimming, and all this staff appearing, I started to be very attentive, to see what is going on. The cursor swims down when I still touching the touchpad, when I release the touchpad - the cursor stops. Maybe the touchpad so sensitive? I'll try use it differently. 

Thank you ALL for help!

Edited by Zerk, 21 July 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#10 Zerk

Zerk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

attachicon.gifMouse.JPG

Is this what you see ??

Thanks, noknojon, for your quick respond.

I used before an older Thinkpad laptop for a few years, and never had a such problem.

The triangles are not in the circle, but in a long square, and they are much smaller. The circle appears separately - it is gray, and inside there is a few black lines, kind of round lines. 

When I saw that the cursor is swimming, and all this staff appearing, I started to be very attentive, to see what is going on. The cursor swims down when I still touching the touchpad, when I release the touchpad - the cursor stops. Maybe the touchpad so sensitive? I'll try use it differently. 

Thank you EVERYONE for help! 

#11 Zerk

Zerk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

If you're not accidently touching both of the mouse buttons on the laptop's touchpad, and you're not using any additional mouse, then likely you have a faulty touchpad/button assembly. Test this by adding a USB mouse and disabling the touchpad in the BIOS.

Thanks, PanickyD,
I use only the laptop's touchpad mouse, I don't use the mouse buttons.
If you would, please explain about "disabling the touchpad in the BIOS". Thank you.

#12 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

First, make sure you have an additional mouse to use before disabling the touchpad. Buy a cheapo USB mouse or borrow a friends. When you boot up the computer you should be able to enter the BIOS by tapping F1 repeatedly. I believe that is the right key, might also be F2, F10, or Delete. Once you have access to the BIOS, or system setup, use the keyboard's arrow keys to navigate to "integrated peripherals" or "integrated hardware" or something similar. Go to the entry for the touchpad and disable it. Exit the BIOS, saving your changes. Now the computer will not recognize the touchpad and you will have to use the new additional mouse for your mousing chores. This should tell you if you have a software or hardware problem. PLEASE be careful while in the BIOS. Changing the wrong things can have very bad effects on your computer. There are numerous YouTube videos on navigating BIOS screens

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#13 Zerk

Zerk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:34 PM

OK, now I found out that the button with a two triangles, that appears on the point of the mouse - it is a center button
for the mouse. But I never use it, nor touch it.

I'm going to get now the USB mouse and check it out, maybe it is really "a faulty touchpad/button assembly".

Thank you ALL again, appreciate your posts! - I'm dummy in this area.

#14 Zerk

Zerk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:39 PM

First, make sure you have an additional mouse to use before disabling the touchpad. Buy a cheapo USB mouse or borrow a friends. When you boot up the computer you should be able to enter the BIOS by tapping F1 repeatedly. I believe that is the right key, might also be F2, F10, or Delete. Once you have access to the BIOS, or system setup, use the keyboard's arrow keys to navigate to "integrated peripherals" or "integrated hardware" or something similar. Go to the entry for the touchpad and disable it. Exit the BIOS, saving your changes. Now the computer will not recognize the touchpad and you will have to use the new additional mouse for your mousing chores. This should tell you if you have a software or hardware problem. PLEASE be careful while in the BIOS. Changing the wrong things can have very bad effects on your computer. There are numerous YouTube videos on navigating BIOS screens

Thank you.

#15 Zerk

Zerk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

PanickyD,
" This should tell you if you have a software or hardware problem."

Please, tell more about this " telling", in what way it is going to "tell", and how I can discern it is software or hardware problem.

Thanks much.

Edited by Zerk, 21 July 2013 - 11:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users