Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot access bios ASUS P8Z77VLK

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 senseless

senseless

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

Wow, is Mercury retrograde, or what?  All day long weird issues on 3 different computers.

I am working with my new build, which has functioned just fine so far, but now I cannot access BIOS.

Supposed to be the DEL key, but tapping at various rates, or just holding, just defeats the boot process.

I have to use the power button to power down and start over.

If I don't touch the keyboard, it will boot to windows fine.

I am using an SSD for OS etc

Tried booting from shut down, and via restart, many many times.

I know I have already accessed BIOS when I put this box together, but now it's a no go.

ASUS mobo P8Z77VLK

i5 3570k

8 GB GSKILL 2133 RAM

Samsung 840 SSD 120GB

WD10EZEX 1TB second drive

Windows 8 home 64bit

Intel HD4000 graphics

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 senseless

senseless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

OK

I tried resetting the CMOS by removing the battery for a few minutes.

No difference.

So, I tried resetting the CMOS by moving the jumper.

BIG difference.

Now my computer will not boot ...:(

Considering that RAM might be involved...
I pulled each stick one by one, (2x4GB 2133 GSKILL) and swapped slots with reboot attempts every time...no luck.

When I setup the system, the 2133 was running at default 1600.

After settling other issues, I increased the RAM to 2133 speed and the system recognized everything.

The system has been running well for over a month.

But, I do not think that I tried accessing BIOS since I bumped the RAM speed.

The reason I wanted to check BIOS today was for the boot order...I was fiddling with a UBCD disc and the machine would skip it so I thought maybe the boot order was involved.

Now thinking the MOBO might be fried somehow.

#3 senseless

senseless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

Wow...working the internet, God Bless It

Found a thread where this was related to duh...the monitor?

Mine was connected via DVI-D

I reconnected via VGA, and WOW..back in business...WTF?

No idea why this issue appeared...

But, my memory is once again showing at 1600, 4GB (one stick)

Crap, do I ever have a lot to learn.

Will post again with follow ups.

#4 senseless

senseless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

yes, I can now access BIOS.

But, after plugging the DVI-D cable back...into my MOBO...no way, no boot.

The system will now only boot with the monitor plugged into VGA port.

And into second monitor actually...an older DELL ultrasharp.

The new ASUS monitor stops boot in its tracks, via DVI-D connection.

But it was working just fine!~

I'm confused...

OK OK, I'm unplugging the DELL monitor  and putting the VGA to the ASUS OK...

#5 senseless

senseless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

HOLY fing crap, I am totally embarrassed and totally baffled but I think it was a weird simple loose connection of the DVI plug on the back of my monitor!

Why did it boot through BIOS to Windows when I wasn't tapping the DEL key?

Anyway, during my increasingly pissed-off diagnostic process, I flipped the new ASUS monitor forward to plug in the VGA feed, since it worked with the old DELL...

Then I saw that the DVI-D plug was not connected!

Maybe the plug was just barely hanging in there, but when I tap-tap-tapped the DEL key, there was a break in connection??

And, when I flipped the monitor, the plug released entirely??

Damn, those screws on each side serve a purpose, did I really leave it that loose?

Hard to believe...

Damn!

#6 senseless

senseless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

OK, it wasn't the plug issue...

Has something to do with monitor config.

I have display set to duplicate monitors, using a TV via HDMI with my ASUS monitor via DVI-D

System seems to favor the HDMI feed over the DVI.

If I have the TV off, I can't get the BIOS to show on the ASUS via DVI, but it will work via VGA.

If I have the TV on, I can get the BIOS to display, it will show up first on the TV, then on both TV and ASUS.

Hmm...if I unplug the HDMI, I can see the BIOS on the ASUS via DVI...hmm

Edited by senseless, 21 July 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#7 senseless

senseless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

OK, so I can't figure out why my system favors the HDMI over the DVI-D feeds to TV/Monitor.

The weird thing is, I didn't even notice because I don't always have the TV powered up, which is fed via HDMI.

So, my DVI-D fed monitor simply stared back at me from the abyss....black, black as night.

Sort of like this thread...

Well, maybe a google-searcher will find the information they seek when they stumble upon this thread.

So for now, I am signing off, done here, figured out the gist of things by myself, but the details still elude me.

Thanks for all the fish!

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

ok, Im still trying to make sense out of that entire mess lol. but to answer your questions, video cards are set to favor one feed over another automatically. Some cards allow you to change this, many do not, and many integrated cards, while they may have multiple connections on the back, will only power one screen at a time-plugging two in will not work, and may confuse the system.

As far as getting the BIOS via your monitor-your integrated card, apparently does support dual outputs, and the HDMI is the primary. If you have something plugged into your HDMI slot-regardless of whether it is on or not, the card is recognizing there being a monitor there, and the secondary display, your DVI one, is a secondary monitor, which doesn't truly initialize until you get into windows (it might show a clone of the POST screen and a few other things) but it won't necessarily show your BIOS. So the reality is, when you hit your DEL key, your computer is going into BIOS like its supposed to-its just not showing on your secondary monitor because the BIOS doesn't support dual monitors, and the primary feed is turned off.

If you want to access the BIOS with your DVI monitor, try unplugging all the other outputs completly so that ONLY the DVI is plugged in and see what happens.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 senseless

senseless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

Yeah, thanks, I got that.

Maybe the HD4000 graphics.

Good to learn this now, so a GPU upgrade doesn't throw me for a loop.

The system favors the HDMI feed, so, if the TV is turned off, and it's being fed via HDMI, then I see nothing on the DVI feed.

If I unplug the HDMI and boot, the bios screen is displayed after DEL tap or F2....on the DVI fed monitor.

Trial and, ahem,  ERROR!... proved it to me!

Thing is, I was trying to access BIOS while diagnosing somebody else's laptop.

I couldn't figure out why a UBCD disc wouldn't boot my system.

So, I tried accessing BIOS to check the boot sequence, all downhill after that.

I feel quite stupid but, I have learned so much from reading forum posts all over the internet...  Maybe this helps somebody else who is having a similar rough night.

Now, I'm thinking to discuss a cracked piece of 478 socket plastic and some bent processor pins on my XP box...but YAY, I made it work and got a new CPU running like stink!

Brother will love it for email etc.

Thanks for the reply!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users