Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop shutdown and won't restart

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

I have an old HP Laptop with XP that has died.  The battery has been bad for a long time and I am feeling that this has caused the problem.  It has shut down on me many times in the middle of use.  This time I was doing a full MSE scan.  The system was just cleaned and debugged, defragged, cleaned disk, boot time scan etc.  What is my next step, not sure I wan to buy a battery if it wont work when installed.  If the power cord is an issue maybe I can check it with my multi meter if I knew what to check.  Thanks in advance. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CraZyJAR

CraZyJAR

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

When using a multi meter......you'll want to check if any voltage is running through the cord, so you would stick one probe on the plug side and the other in the socket side.....if that makes sense. Usually it will beep if there is a signal traveling down the cord. Also, you mentioned that the laptop is an older model, you might want to look into checking if the CMOS battery has gone bad. This battery is used to boot your computer initially and usually recharged while running. These usually hold a long life span but if the computer isn't used over a length of time, it could be completely drained. I'll take a look into it and try to post again if anything catches my eye.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

So the CMOS battery is a completely different battery?

I should add that before this happened the power cord seemed to work fine and the green power light would always come on on the Laptop.

Also now when I try to turn it on the battery light will blink 3-4 times, I will have to count next time.  I am at a library now so my replies will be infrequent but still very important to me.  Thanks very much!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

When using a multi meter......you'll want to check if any voltage is running through the cord, so you would stick one probe on the plug side and the other in the socket side.....if that makes sense. Usually it will beep if there is a signal traveling down the cord. Also, you mentioned that the laptop is an older model, you might want to look into checking if the CMOS battery has gone bad. This battery is used to boot your computer initially and usually recharged while running. These usually hold a long life span but if the computer isn't used over a length of time, it could be completely drained. I'll take a look into it and try to post again if anything catches my eye.

When I do this I should be checking continuity in DC right.  It has been many years since I have used the Multimeter, to bad it 's a nice one.  I was taking an electronics course when I bought it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users