Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extenal Hard Disk Became Raw

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Venkat5432

Venkat5432

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hi,

I didn't do safely remove for my Westen Digital- My Passport 1 TB Harddisk. Now when i try to use it I get error in windows vista "Need to format the disk before using it".

I get the symptoms shown in this page.

http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

I followed the steps from that page on my friend's laptop with LINUX MINT. I find one partition and I find all the files on my harddisk. 

When I try to Write new Partition, I dont get Backup BS or Rebuild BS options. I then get "You will have to reboot for the changes to take effect.

When i reboot nothing Changes.

Please help. Thanks in advance,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:09 AM

Use dudes Linux to copy the files > format > copy back = maybe something....

What happens?

#3 Venkat5432

Venkat5432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:58 AM

There is not enough space to copy all the files. I have to buy a new  External Harddisk to do that. :) 

#4 Venkat5432

Venkat5432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

Pls help me guys....

#5 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

There is always the option to try to fix/rewrite the partition tables to errant hard drive. Athough some feel confident with this; I do not see this approach as "trivial" and use it only in end-game scenarios.

However: If things run amok and the drive has to be formatted the files can only be retrieved with recovery software, lots of time and more hardware (reliable computer with enough space).

If there is more than one friend about, scatter your files and after a successful formatting of the drive; run about and retrieve them.

What is the data worth to you?

Edited by bludgard, 27 July 2013 - 07:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users