Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Separating Siamese Twins

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

Is there any way to dis-associate my intended search-site of 'Altavista.com' from the disgusting overbearing site Yahoo!  ?

When I type in a request for Altavista.com, I get a screen hosted by Yahoo. I DO NOT WANT YAHOO! as my homepage.  My homepage shows as being set to altavista.com, yet this irritating yahoo! site shows up each time.

I went through this whole thing just a month ago when my homepage had been hijacked by an unscrupulous Chinese (pardon the redundancy) company  to go to their site th.hao123.....now I have the whole issue over again.....

I've tried the crucial step that enabled me to find the source of the problem with that DISGUSTING CHINESE site (i.e. going into Firefox 'PROPERTIES',and seeing there the nauseating CHINESE 'hao' suffix parasitically attached to the end of my intended homepage's site)...but this one doesn't show up there...

Can these corporate twins be separated?

Edited by PGHinBKK, 20 July 2013 - 04:17 PM.

Life is strange......and then there's Thailand....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

AltaVista is no longer, it is shut down. Since Yahoo owned it, you need to find an alternative or live with Yahoo. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/yahoo-shuts-down-internet-relic-altavista-182236062.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

AltaVista is no longer, it is shut down. Since Yahoo owned it, you need to find an alternative or live with Yahoo. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/yahoo-shuts-down-internet-relic-altavista-182236062.html  

Wow. RIP Altavista.  That was my favorite search-engine. No crap, no spam, no ads, nice and fast and clean. You're right, I'll have to find something similar to use instead. Do you have any suggestions? Anything similar to Altavista?    

Thank you, Animal.

#4 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

Animal, on second thought, I realized that my request my have put you in a difficult situation for a moment, since you probably are not allowed to 'endorse' one particular site or other. Sorry if I caused you a moment's frustration. I'll just live with the Yahoo &^%$#@

After all, as I frequently tell my students..one must retain one's perspective. When one begins to get impatient with the internet, with all its incredible resources and wealth of info that's floating around out there for free, then one must step back and simply appreciate what one has in the first place...even if it takes a few extra seconds or keystrokes.

Thanks for all your help and for (perhaps inadvertently) providing me with a gentle reminder of this fact.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

You're quite welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community. I generally don't endorse singular applications. This for two reasons, one being our needs are likely quite different. Two because there are choices to be made when it comes to applications. I would rather the user experience all that the wonderful web has to offer, to expose them to choices. As opposed to making a suggestion that possibly reduces the exposure to a better product than they were using.

Thank you for understanding my position.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users