Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Repair Failed: "A patch is preventing the system from starting"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ajdude08

ajdude08

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron running both Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Linux boots up fine, but I can't get Windows to boot to the log in screen. I tried startup repair, but it failed to fix the issue. It said that the root cause found was

"A patch is preventing the system from starting"

I can't do a system restore (no points), or a system image recovery, so is my only option a Dell Factory Image Restore? Note that I do have access to all my windows files via ubuntu.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:18 AM

When you do a "Factory image restore" the partitions of Ubuntu will also be deleted and put back to the default state when the computer was first bought. 

1. Backup all important files.

2. Try Macrium Reflect free or another program to backup your Ubuntu partitions. 

3. If you're sure you have backuped your personal files and have a backup from the partitions. Then you may proceed to do a Factory Image Restore. 

Edited by GodfatherKing, 21 July 2013 - 06:18 AM.

If you have received help from me and I don't have respond to you for almost >= 3 days, send me a Private Message.  :hello:

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

I suggest running Command Prompt from the repair menu and then Check Disk:

1. Insert the Windows 7 Disc and boot from it.

2. In the recovery menu, choose Command Prompt .

3. Type the following command and press Enter:

Chkdsk /r /f

Hope this helps

Regards................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users