I'm new to this forum! Thank you very much in advance for the work you do here!
The story is the following:
I have a PC from a friend which is infected by at least one rootkit and I already tried several things. Some of them with a result, others no.
1) The PC was unable to connect to internet and to System Event Information, so I restored Winsock through two registry files found on internet. The standard procedure "nets windsock reset catalog" didn't work.
2) I scanned the PC with aswMBR and I have a log. Apart the MBR unknown code, it seems fine.
3) I run bootkit remover and it finds a rootkit in the MBR.
4) I run ComboFix and I have a log.
5) I run again aswMBR, but not it says Inizialize error - driver not loaded
6) Same strange problem with TDSKiller. So something happened with ComboFix.
7) I tried uninstalling ComboFix, but same problem...
8) Bootkit remover continues to see a rootkit in the MBR.
9) I tried booting from a Windows 8 DVD and do bootrec /FixMbr and bootrec /FixBoot. They say operation complete, even though the rootkit seems to be still there .
What can i do to further try removing this malware/s?