Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Saving Web Pages

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pscraja

pscraja

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:30 AM

I have been facing the following problem for some time with IE browser.
Some web pages could not be saved from the net with IE while firefox saves it. An example is

"http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/security/settings.mspx"

I was trying all possible methods of saving i.e htm, html or mht formats. none of these could save but firefox saves.

What could be reason? Is there any setting which I miss out which prevents this to be saved in IE?

Kindly advise.

pscraja

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:09 AM

Are you trying to save a copy of the webpage or a bookmark for it?

To save a copy - click "file", then "save as"

To add it to your "favorites":

Click "Favorites"
then click "add to favorites".

#3 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:18 AM

Hi,

I was trying to do the same as you when i linked to the page you advised, doesnt work for me either. is it the page or just the text you need?

Edited by snyper, 19 April 2006 - 09:19 AM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:53 AM

If you want to download the page so you have it stored on your computer - not just the link stored in your favorites in IE, you have to download the page by clicking "file", then "save as" and save the page as a "web page complete" (*.htm: *.html) format., not "text"

Where are you trying to save it to? Try saving it to your documents.

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 April 2006 - 09:57 AM.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:13 AM

Since it says can't save to current destination - I would try changing the destination if you want to save the whole web page.

I do have a better suggestion since saving the whole web page takes up so much room on your hard drive with all of the graphic files and such that it takes. You eventually will run out of hard drive room. Since the content of the web pages changes so much and so often why not just save the page to favorites. this way it does not take up so much of your resources and when the content changes it will automatically be upgraded the next time you click on the link to go back.

#6 pscraja

pscraja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for all those who posted replies. My question is very specific. If you have tried yourself to save using the above link with IE and could succeed, I would like to know how was it done. Manyof my fiends have tried but not succeeded to save using IE. There is no use of saving just the text especially this one. This is like a tutorial as to how one should go about.

My question is saving the whole web page using IE. the web page I had quoted could not be saved. It says it cannot be saved to the current location. Changing the location also gives the same result. But using mozilla firefox, you are able to save the same file in the same destination which IE refused.

What is that which allows saving in firefox but not in IE. There should be something which only some experts will be able to locate. Hence this posting. For my purpose of saving the contents, any way I use firefox. In the web most of the sites don't behave well with other browsers. For instance, all secure pages such as that of internet banking, mail service such as gmail don't work with other browsers as they work with IE. My posting is only on academic interest.

I hope some expert would highlight and we all would benefit by that. Thanks again.

pscraja.

#7 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:04 AM

Hello,

I went to the site, and downloaded it first try. Let me explain what I did just to make sure that I am understanding exactly what your problem is.

1. Opened the link in IE6, Clicked File--->Save As...

2. In the Save Webpage applet, I chose to save the page to my Desktop, encoded in Western Europeon ISO. Instead of the .mht file type that was suggested, I switched to Webpage Complete, which produced an .htm file type.

3. Before I downloaded the page, I renamed it to IE6secure.htm, because it is always best to have a file name with no spaces. Even with that said, I tested it again without renaming it and it still worked just fine.

4. The resulting download produced an html 4.0 specification page with a size of about 34KB, and also a folder with all the images CSS and Javascript with a size of about 270KB.

I didn't do anything that I wouldn't normally do, and I sucessfully downloaded the site using Avant, Firefox, Opera, Maxthon, and SlimBrowser as well. I looked over my settings, and most are at their default levels. Please let me know what you think, for my own sanity.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#8 willmon18

willmon18

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:01 AM

I believe I know the problem. The problem is I belive since Firefox is the default browser no matter what browser you save it in, it will always be openend with firefox. If you are wanting to use it with IE Internet Explorer then you can do one of two things. The easier way is to right click the saved webpage that is in the Firefox format and hit open with then choose Internet Explorer. Or you can go into Internet Explorer and change it to your default Web Browser. To do this go to tools in your Internet Explorer then programs and verify that the box for Check to see if internet explorer is the default web browser. Then close it and open it back up and when it says would you like to make Internet Explorer your default browser hit yes. Then go back to the webpage you saved and it should be shown as Internet Explorer format instead of Firefox.
William Montgomery Walters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users