Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Signal to the speakers problem...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 danielcohen

danielcohen

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

Hey, a couple of days ago I've bought speakers for my computer and until then I've been using my LCD speakers, to my own surprise my LCD speakers sent signal only to my left speaker and I found it out when I connected the new speakers because only one of them worked. In the beginning I thought maybe the new speakers malfunction but then I've connected them to a different computer and they've worked just fine, then I've thought maybe there's a problem with the computer drivers so I've tried a different OS (I've booted into CentOS live cd) and only the left speaker worked there too...Does my sound card malfunction? Is it something in the BIOS? please I need an opinion of an expert...

Thanks in advance for whoever reply (BTW my name is Daniel).

Edited by danielcohen, 20 July 2013 - 07:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

my LCD speakers sent signal only to my left speaker

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Daniel.

Does your reference to the LCD mean you're plugging the speakers into the outlet on the monitor? If so, do the speakers work both channels if you plug directly into the audio out socket on the computer?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 danielcohen

danielcohen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

Yeah by LCD I mean my monitor and only the left one worked, I've also tested another set of speakers and they've only worked on the left speaker too 

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,781 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:49 AM

If left and right speakers in the monitor work, then it would seem that the problem is in the socket on the monitor, or an internal connection to it. I assume the connection to the monitor is HDMI so carrying the sound, or is there a separate audio cable to the monitor?

Edited by Platypus, 20 July 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#5 danielcohen

danielcohen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

Maybe you've got you confused from my description, I'm using a desktop computer I've got an external monitor and the pair of speakers that I've tried work fine ( both of them work) on my 2nd computer. (my computer is connected to the screen via DVI cable and the sound with the green audio cable) 

Edited by danielcohen, 20 July 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,781 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

Since you hadn't specified, to have sound in monitor speakers, there either had to be an audio cable, or an HDMI connection. To eliminate all possibilities, you can check that the computer is outputting both channels by plugging the new speakers directly into the audio out on the computer. If the speakers work properly then, the fault is in the monitor.

#7 danielcohen

danielcohen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

I've connected 2 perfectly working pairs of speakers to the computer (not the monitors speakers) and they've reacted the same (only left speaker outputs sound).

Edited by danielcohen, 20 July 2013 - 07:31 AM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,781 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

Then since using the Live CD eliminates a driver problem in Windows, the most likely explanation is probably that the contact for the right channel has gone bad in the socket on the back of the computer. You could see if there's some setting in the BIOS that allows only a single channel to be enabled, but that seems unlikely to me.

Edited by Platypus, 20 July 2013 - 07:36 AM.

#9 danielcohen

danielcohen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:39 AM

What can be done to fix it? 

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

Hi

You could try plugging into the headphone jack on the front of the computer. If both channels work there then it is the jack on the back of the computer that is bad most likely.

If it is a computer that is home built then the wires to the motherboard from the jack could be hooked up wrong as that would affect front and rear jacks.

On a Brand name computer the wires for audio are on one plug to the motherboard versus home built where they can be individual wires.

If it is a PCI or PCI Express sound card then the jack or the card is bad.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#11 danielcohen

danielcohen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Rotor123 if you weren't talking with me through a forum I would've kissed you haha! The cables are probably connected the wrong way on the rear jacks because the front ones works great, Platypus many thanks for your patience, you two are awesome :) , one last thing -- the computer is home build, do you know where can I find a tutorial that shows me how to hook up the wires, I just want to be sure that I won't mess something up. 

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,781 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

If you identify the model of mainboard, you can usually download the user manual from the manufacturer support site. Apart from reading a label on the board, an ID of the system board can usually be found using utilities like speccy or SIW

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

http://www.gtopala.com/

Some boards have jumpers to set up how sound output is directed between front and rear connectors, one of them may be missing or loose.

Edited by Platypus, 20 July 2013 - 05:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users