Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway laptop T-series will not read HDD

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 JRV7797

JRV7797

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:36 AM

My cousin gave me a laptop to play with and he said that there were a few problems with its start up.. I realized that it was not recognizing the hard drive, I tested the hard drive in another computer and determined it works but the laptop will not recognize the HDD, it just says there is none there.. I am using a Gateway w350a laptop, I've gotten it to boot on a live OS but haven't gotten it to even recognize the hard drive, any help or advice will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:22 AM

Was the Live OS boot from the optical drive? If it was, that suggests the controller on the laptop mainboard is probably OK but the interface (power or data) to the HDD is failing somewhere. On a laptop, that can be a connector, flexible loom or adapter connecting the HDD to the mainboard. If the Live boot was from USB, then either the SATA controller or connection to the HDD could cause this, again if the optical drive works OK in this situation it points to the controller being OK.

Edited by Platypus, 20 July 2013 - 01:23 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 JRV7797

JRV7797
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

The Live boot was from the optical drive and I have not tried a Live boot from a USB, how would I fix the SATA data or power interface? Buy a new one from somewhere and switch it out?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,991 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:24 PM

With a laptop, you need to open it up and work out what is actually causing the problem, which could require test equipment. If the fault is within the mainboard itself, there's usually little chance of repair short of replacing the entire board. However if it's caused by something like a corroded connector or a fractured flat loom, repair can be simpler.

#5 JRV7797

JRV7797
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

Ok what tools would I need and about how much would it cost? I have a voltmeter if that's requires

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hi

It seems like a bad hard disk to me. Unplug the hard drive from it's bay and reconnect it to solve any possible loose connection. Usually you can access the HDD by removing a small cover in the bottom part of the machine. If that didn't helps, connect the hard drive to another system for testing. If the HDD is also not recognizing on another machine, you got a failed hard drive. If it is a SATA drive, you can connect it to a normal desktop PC for testing.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,991 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:01 AM

I tested the hard drive in another computer and determined it works

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:51 AM

:oopsign:  my bad. I didn't noticed that.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

<< I tested the hard drive in another computer and determined it works...>>

Just for the sake of clarity in my feeble mind :), what steps did you take to "test" the hard drive?  Just because a drive momentarily shows signs of life...doesn't mean that it will continue to do so.

Did you run a hard drive diagnostic of any type?

Louis

#10 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

As hamluis says, the sticky point here is the term "works". If the hard drive can be read in another machine, that's a sign that the drive is OK, but while it's hooked up to the test unit, I'd at least run Windows based diagnostics on it. All the same, I'm thinking the motherboard may have gone south.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,991 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

There are tutorials on youtube for dismantling that model - a meter is useful for checking continuity of connectors & wiring, and if supply voltage is appearing on the power connector, although listening to the drive may confirm this if the drive is spinning up. Assuming the drive operated normally when connected to the other computer, and is not identified at all in the original system's BIOS, seeing if it powers up would be a sensible first step. If the drive is silent, suspect power not getting to it, and trace power connector. If it runs but is not recognized, suspect the data cable connections, or the controller on the mainboard. The fact that the optical drive operates gives hope that it may just be the connection to the hard drive rather than a mainboard fault (although it doesn't prove this).

As a further check, like the others have said, in case the fault is in fact the hard drive being intermittent, another confirmatory fitting to another system would prove that it is in fact operating consistently.

#12 JRV7797

JRV7797
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

Thanks guys, I'm about to determine if power is actually getting to the drive although I tested the hard drive in a Linux based OS on a desktop and was able to access it but when I tried it on the live DVD boot on the laptop in question it would not read the drive, as we speak I am going to test the power to the drive and I will post back when I'm done

#13 JRV7797

JRV7797
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:00 AM

Okay!! I tested the power with a meter and with the drive, when the drive is connected it makes a sound.. It's hard to describe this sound but it sounds a bit strange, kinda like an alarm, so power is getting to the drive so the only thing that makes sense is the data connection, how would I replace that?

#14 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

The drive is connected it makes a sound? What drive make sound? HDD or Optical?

If HDD, it maybe a sign that its nearly broken.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#15 JRV7797

JRV7797
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:33 AM

HDD I just took it apart and I am currently inspecting the mobo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users