Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nearly replaced all parts, still doesnt work

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gajolmand

gajolmand

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:18 AM

Okay first my pc’s GPU got too hot because its fans died I watched the temp get to around 200 degrees Celsius before my comp shut down then I got a new GPU, and it worked fine.

My computer now ran with no problem for about a month.

Now the fan in my PSU began making weird noises and stopped running, now my CPU began to get too hot and shut down like my GPU, so I bought a new PSU in hopes a new fan would help keep the CPU cool.

My CPU still overheated and made my comp shut down, so I reapplied thermal paste.

Now my comp wouldnt start. Nothing but a black screen and no error beeps from the speaker.

I thought that maybe the CPU got too fried and is now dead, so I got a new one.

Still wouldnt start.

I now thought, okay maybe I somehow damaged the motherboard in the process, so I got a new one of those too.

Still didnt work.

So now I bought some new RAM blocks just because damn it all.

Still didnt work.

So now ive replaced my whole god damn computer except my Hard disk, and it still doesnt work!

So could a bad Hard disk cause black screen and no beeps? 

Specs:

Motherboard: MSI Motherboard Socket 1366 F. Core I7 Intel X58 DDR3 S-ATA II

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 - 2.66 GHz Quad-Core

GPU:  ZOTAC GeForce GTX 650 Ti AMP! Edition

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (2x4Gb)

PSU: XFX Core Edition PRO650W

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

So could a bad Hard disk cause black screen and no beeps? 

Yes, try it without the hard drive connected up.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 gajolmand

gajolmand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:21 AM

If the hard drive is not connected its still just a black screen and no beeps, also ive tried having the sata cable connected in all the sockets and it made no difference.

Do you have any pictures or similar which shows how all the cables should be connected? Because maybe the is some cable somewhere ive overlooked or something like that.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,520 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:38 AM

Considering the almost infinite variety of computer components, pictures that will exactly illustrate yours is a bit of an ask.

Clear detail and descriptions of your symptoms will help however - what model is your MSI mainboard?

Also, wouldn't start and didn't work are a bit vague, does the PSU start, any fan run, light on? If there is absolutely no response to the soft power switch, look for something adversely affecting the PSU, including soft on button connection to mainboard.

If the PSU starts up but the system seems dead, try clearing the CMOS in case being worked on has corrupted the settings into an unbootable state. The usual technique for faultfinding a non-boot is to remove all connections/cards except the CPU (ie remove video card, RAM, all connections to peripherals), mainboard power and soft switch connection. If the PSU, mainboard and CPU are operational, there will be an error beep flagging the missing memory. If not, the problem is mainboard, CPU or PSU.

#5 gajolmand

gajolmand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:09 AM

Considering the almost infinite variety of computer components, pictures that will exactly illustrate yours is a bit of an ask.

Clear detail and descriptions of your symptoms will help however - what model is your MSI mainboard?

Also, wouldn't start and didn't work are a bit vague, does the PSU start, any fan run, light on? If there is absolutely no response to the soft power switch, look for something adversely affecting the PSU, including soft on button connection to mainboard.

If the PSU starts up but the system seems dead, try clearing the CMOS in case being worked on has corrupted the settings into an unbootable state. The usual technique for faultfinding a non-boot is to remove all connections/cards except the CPU (ie remove video card, RAM, all connections to peripherals), mainboard power and soft switch connection. If the PSU, mainboard and CPU are operational, there will be an error beep flagging the missing memory. If not, the problem is mainboard, CPU or PSU.

My new motherboard is a cheap version of the MSI Pro-E motherboard and has no other kind of name other than this "MSI Motherboard Socket 1366 F. Core I7 Intel X58 DDR3 S-ATA II" But its pretty much the same as the Pro-E.

When i turn the power on all fans work and all lights light up. Also i can hear the hard drive working so everything seems to start up normally there is just nothing coming up on the screen, ive also tried connecting my headphones to check if i could hear the windows start up tone but i cant.

If i remove either the GPU or the RAM from the motherboard and start it up the speaker just goes: "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP" untill i turn it off.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,520 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:25 AM

So no POST screen, options to enter the BIOS? Beeps for absent memory suggest the mainboard hardware is functioning - if not already tried, clear the CMOS in case corruption is setting a condition under which the CPU cannot run correctly.

Edited by Platypus, 20 July 2013 - 04:26 AM.

#7 gajolmand

gajolmand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:48 AM

So no POST screen, options to enter the BIOS? Beeps for absent memory suggest the mainboard hardware is functioning - if not already tried, clear the CMOS in case corruption is setting a condition under which the CPU cannot run correctly.

No POST screen and no options to enter BIOS, the screen is just completly black. Ive already tried clearing CMOS.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,520 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

Pretty much comes down to a process of elimination, with possible complication of a dual cause. For example, if the previous mainboard was a different model, Windows may be trying to load but unable to boot, hence giving no Windows startup sound. But if a problem with the GPU or its PSU rail or connection also produces no video output, you won't see what's going on. There can also be a single simple cause, such as an unidentified bad connection in a power plug, missing PSU rail, overlooked connector or sliver of metal shorting somewhere...

#9 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

Don't want to sound insulting, but I've done this. Did you make sure your power supply to the video card is plugged in with a good connection? :grinner:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#10 gajolmand

gajolmand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

Don't want to sound insulting, but I've done this. Did you make sure your power supply to the video card is plugged in with a good connection? :grinner:

Good connection? The power is plugged in and it should work

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,520 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

I think Wildabeast is referring to being fooled by a plug that appeared to be in place but had not in fact made a good connection - maybe needed a very hard push, or an obstruction cleared out of the socket?

#12 gajolmand

gajolmand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

Okay im just gonna run through what cables i have going where so you guys can tell me if ive missed something.

I have power going to the motherboard, the big one in the right side and the smaller one in the top left corner.

I have power going into my GPU, disc drive and hard disc. 

I also have power connected to a fan in the back.

I have my CPU fan/heatsink connected to the motherboard.

I have a sata cable going from the disc drive into the motherboard.

I have a sata cable going from the hard disc into the motherboard.

I have the cables from the front of my pc chassis connected on the motherboard (on/off, reset, USB)

#13 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

Try replacing the mobo battery, if you are getting "Black Screens". I have had to do that several times over the years, for my machines, and for friends machines.

#14 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

I think Wildabeast is referring to being fooled by a plug that appeared to be in place but had not in fact made a good connection - maybe needed a very hard push, or an obstruction cleared out of the socket?

Thank you Platypus, that is what I meant. I've "plugged in" the power to a video card but later found it wasn't in all the way. I've also forgotten to plug in the power...

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#15 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

At this point, I'd disconnect data cables from all the drives and disconnect all the power connections, then reseat the RAM and video card. If you have a power supply tester, I'd check the leads to be sure the voltage is in spec for each cable. Failing that, just connect power to the video card and motherboard and try booting. Platypus and Wildabeast are both correct when they say that sometimes that last millimeter in pushing in a connector can make all the difference. After 14 years as a system builder, it still happens to me too.

All the same, it certainly isn't impossible to get a new, defective power supply. As I'm sure you know, just because the PSU spins up the fans, and lights some LEDs doesn't mean it will actually boot the system.

Edited by slgrieb, 21 July 2013 - 11:39 AM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users