Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downgrading from 8 to 7- help?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hairylugs82

hairylugs82

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

Toshiba Satelite S855-S5188

Windows 8

I've been trying out Windows 8 for a couple weeks now, and I'm very frustrated with the forced security measures from a company who I don't trust with my security. Also, I prefer the simplicity of working with a classic Windows desktop, knowing how to dive in and mess with the things I need, as well as installing third party apps of my choosing without having to perform voodoo.

tl;dr- I want Windows 7.

I understand that it's a matter of finding drivers and disabling the Win8 security shell, but I'd like a little assistance from someone who has done this before. Is there a step-by-step guide for dummies somewhere?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

Please first read Understanding downgrade rights
OEM versions of Windows 8 eligible for downgrade : Windows 8 Pro includes downgrade rights to:
•Windows 7 Professional

Thank You -

#3 hairylugs82

hairylugs82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:05 AM

I suppose I stated my intentions incorrectly. I have a copy of Win7 that I would like to use in place of Win8. I do not have Win8 Pro.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

Is the copy of Windows 7 a retail copy with the legal product code which is not been installed on another computer?

If you do, the simplest way to do this would be to wipe the hdd with a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke, this overwrites the entire hdd effectively giving you a clean slate to start with.  After the hdd is wiped install Windows 7 and your drivers for the laptop and you should be good to go.  You should consider downloading the drivers for this laptop before starting this and save it to a flash drive.

Once you have this done you will want to download SP1 if it isn't included in the installation, after that you should download all the important Microsoft updates.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

With a new consumer laptop the drivers for a downgrade to windows 7 are often non existent. So your graphics display and sound may or may not work properly.

There is not a step by step because each laptop will be different - your first step would be to go into bios and disable secure boot and enable legacy boot options. If my last sentence sounds like greek, I would advise against a downgrade.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 20 July 2013 - 09:12 AM.

#6 hairylugs82

hairylugs82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

My copy was used on my last computer, a desktop, but the motherboard fried. I'll put Boot and Nuke on my boot drive and let you know how it goes!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Is this a retail or OEM copy?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 hairylugs82

hairylugs82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

It's a retail copy of Home Premium

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

That's good news, you shouldn't have any problem activating it.  If there is any problem you only need to explain that the motherboard in the computer this was installed had died, hence the new installation.

One other thing you will want to do is download the chipset driver for that motherboard first, then the rest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users