Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Acces Microsoft Sites (mainly)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NevadaKaz

NevadaKaz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:38 AM

Hi,

I have read the sticky at the top of this forum and followed the instructions to no avail.

I have been unable to access Microsoft sites with IE for some time now, but have been able to access them using AOL browser. I came across this forum last night and tried the remedies suggested in the sticky, however none of them remedied my problem.
Unfortunately, this morning, I am now unable to access Hotmail when using AOL, I can get to the log on screen, type in my details, and then nothing !! Until the 'Page can not be displayed' message appears.

If it helps, I am using AOL 9, am running an up to date version of Norton, Windows XP sp2, connectiing wirelessly via a Netgear DG834g router, and have run Ad-aware and Spybot serach and destroy, and I have found no prblems there.

Kind regards

-kaz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

Hello, Using AOL 9.0 or anyother verssion of AOL makes you use the version of Internet Explorer that comes with AOL I do believe. It looks like you are running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and this should have installed Internet Explorers latest version and then when you went thru thew 50 plus updates since then it should have helped it out. I do not know when you installed AOL but it does use its own browser I do believe. Reinstalling Internet Explorer 6.0 would probably help but it would have to be the version from Service Pack 2 and I do not know if there is a stand alone version of that. I would check first with AOL tech support about the IE issue and see if I am right. I would check with others as well AOL might fib to you just a bit.

#3 willmon18

willmon18

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:05 AM

Well do you use the AOL web browser because if so you can not use most of Microsofts websites. Mainly the Update website. If you wish to view any of microsofts webpages I recommend you use the Internet Explorer even though it came with AOL that does not matter and it is not a factor. It is the same as Microsofts Internet Explorer except AOL edited it to make the title bar say provided by AOL. You can even change this if you wanted to with a special software.
William Montgomery Walters

#4 NevadaKaz

NevadaKaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:07 AM

Well do you use the AOL web browser because if so you can not use most of Microsofts websites. Mainly the Update website. If you wish to view any of microsofts webpages I recommend you use the Internet Explorer even though it came with AOL that does not matter and it is not a factor. It is the same as Microsofts Internet Explorer except AOL edited it to make the title bar say provided by AOL. You can even change this if you wanted to with a special software.

Hi willmon18,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am unable to access ANY microsoft site with IE, if I want to view microsoft sites, I have to use the AOL browser. Which although not ideal has been ok.

Unfortunately, I am now unable to access Hotmail via AOL browser or IE ( this has been the case with IE for several months now).

If anybody has any other tips or solutions, I would be most grateful

All the best

-Kaz

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:36 AM

How far along do you get in accessing Hotmail? Does it accept your Passport ID?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 NevadaKaz

NevadaKaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:02 PM

How far along do you get in accessing Hotmail? Does it accept your Passport ID?
Regards,
John

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I can get to the page (using the AOL browser) where I enter my email address and password. I click sign in, then along the bottom of the browser page it shows " Opening Page" the bar gets to about 50% full before going no further.

Using IE, I get no where. Not even the sign in page loads.

Kind regards,

-kaz

#7 willmon18

willmon18

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:00 PM

You really should consider going to a differnet ISP Internet Service Provider. AOL is too expensive anyway. You can get a price for as low as 9.00 a month.
William Montgomery Walters

#8 NevadaKaz

NevadaKaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:07 PM

Curiously, I am able to sign into MSN messenger (not sure which version), however I have downlaoded the latest version and am unable to sign into that version.

I am able to open in IE http://uk.msn.com/ but am unable to access http://www.microsoft.com

The sign in page to Hotmail, has a small help section, I have followed the instructions contained within it....

Open IE>Tools>Internet Options>Privacy>Advanced>Check the box beside "Override Automatic Cookie Handling">click OK> click OK

If anybody has any tips or advice as to how I could solve/troubleshoot my issue, I thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards

-kaz

**********edited to add*********************

I ahve found two more sites I am ahving problems with, or to be more precise, they will not open with IE but will with the AOL browser.

www.shutterfly.com <<Shutterfly open with the AOL browser, but will not let me log into my account.
www.lasvegasadvisor.com

********************end of edit*******************************

Edited by NevadaKaz, 28 April 2006 - 06:49 PM.

#9 NevadaKaz

NevadaKaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:58 PM

Problem now solved :thumbsup:

The MTU in my router settings had to be reduced to 1400. Aparently this is the maximum AOL supports.

Not really sure what MTU is, but I reduced it from 1458 (i think), to 1400 and now all works fine.

Thanks again to those who tried to help me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users