Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

infected (again!)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#16 satchfan

satchfan

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

i get advertisements popping up relating to previous pages i have looked at.

Is this in all browsers or one in particular?

Try others and let me know if the problem persists.

My help is always free of charge. If you are happy with the help provided, if you wish you can make a donation to buy me a beer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 satchfan

satchfan

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,934 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:31 AM

Hi jlk85

It has been several days since I sent my last post.

Please let me know if you are having problems and if all is OK I'll send instructions to tidy up.

Thanks

Satchfan

My help is always free of charge. If you are happy with the help provided, if you wish you can make a donation to buy me a beer.

#18 jlk85

jlk85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

hi the problems i'm getting seem to be only on youtube so i think things are probably okay

#19 satchfan

satchfan

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,934 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:13 AM

Thanks for getting back to me.

the problems i'm getting seem to be only on youtube so i think things are probably okay
uTube carries its own adverts but if you are getting one’s related to recent pages it could be that you need to clear your temporary files.

If this problem only happens in Chrome, the best way of dealing with it is to uninstall/re-install Chrome as I previously suggested.

If the problem is in Firefox, download and use Adblock Plus. This is a Firefox add on that should block popup banners.adverts.

Your computer appears to be clean.

Now that you’re free from malware, as long as your computer seems to be running well, please follow these simple steps to tidy up you computer and decrease the likelihood of getting infected again:

Clear all your temporary files

Download ATF Cleaner
  • double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe (on your desktop) to run the program
  • under Main choose: Select All
  • click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox browser

• click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All

NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

If you use Opera browser

• click Opera at the top and choose: Select All

NOTE: Again, if you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu

NOTE: The last update came out before Chrome and the developer of ATF Cleaner hasn't updated it to deal with Chrome yet.

Google Chrome includes its own “Clear Browsing Data” tool that performs the same functions as ATF Cleaner. It clears browsing history, download history, empties Chrome’s cache, deletes cookies and removes all saved autofill entries and passwords.

You can toggle each of these options and select the date range of data you want to remove.

• open Google Chrome
  • click on the Customize icon Chrome.gif, at the top right
  • choose Tools, Clear Browsing Data.

===============================================

Uninstall OTL

• double-click OTL.exe
  • click the CleanUp! button.
  • select Yes when the Begin cleanup Process? prompt appears.
  • if you are prompted to reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • the tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.

NOTE: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTL attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.

===================================================

Uninstall AdwCleaner

• double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool
  • click on Uninstall
  • confirm with yes.

You can delete any other logs and programs from your desktop.

Create a Restore Point

• click on Start > Control Panel (All Control Panel Items)
  • click on System > System Protection
  • check that you have System Protection turned on for the drive that you want to create a restore point for, (usually C:
  • click Create
  • type in a description for the restore point to help recognize it when doing a System Restore, and click on the Create button.

Remove old restore points

• open Disk Cleanup by clicking Start. In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.
  • if prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.
  • in the Disk Cleanup for (drive letter) dialog box, click Clean up system files. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation
  • if prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK
  • click the More Options tab, then under System Restore and Shadow Copies, click Clean up
  • in the Disk Cleanup dialog box, click Delete
  • click Delete Files, and then click OK.

Recommended programs

SpywareBlaster. SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX, it immunizes your PC against them. It blocks over 11,000 bad sites and uses no resources of your computer.

Update and run Malwarebytes. This really is an excellent program that you should update and run on a regular basis, probably weekly.

I also recommend that you read the following:

How to prevent malware by miekiemoes

If I hear nothing for 24 hours I shall assume all is well and close the topic.

Safe computing

Satchfan

#20 satchfan

satchfan

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,934 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:52 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users